Senior Network Asset Inspector
Reporting to the Operations Manager Traffic and Compliance you will ensure the safety of the highways network through the delivery of a high-quality customer centric, fit for purpose, right first-time inspection, compliance and enforcement service.
You will be required to support enforcement action enabling the London Borough of Barnet to fulfil its statutory duty as Highways Authority for the purposes of the Highways Act 1980; ensuring that Highway users are not put at risk by the action of third parties.
The role will require out of normal hours working to facilitate the successful delivery of an out of hours service.
What you’ll be doing:
- Respond efficiently and effectively to enquiries and complaints related to any aspect of the service provided by Re Highways Service from customers and other sources
- Provide advice and information to customers on matters in relation to services provided by Re Highways Service
- Ensure inspections are planned and delivered in line with agreed timescales, procedures and standards, ensuring full compliance with the systems and hardware provided
- To support the monitoring of contractor work completion, check progress and compliance with the contractor and produce accurate daily, weekly and monthly performance reports on scheduled and work completion including planned measures to resolve
- Support the delivery of enforcement action including providing advice and guidance; issuing formal letters; serving Notices; carrying out of default action; recovery of costs for carrying out default works from the third party; support issuing of fixed penalty notices or prosecution
- Undertake the coordination and production of witness statements, evidence file production, liaison with other enforcement agencies and attendance at court as required
- Be part of a team providing an effective and compliant out of hours service, including winter maintenance duty engineer functions for Re Highways Service
What we’re looking for:
- Demonstrable Engineering, Transportation or equivalent experience in Network Inspection and Management
- Knowledge of highways and transport policies and associated working knowledge of legislation
- Experience in the inspection, assessment and construction of highway assets
- Experience of supervising contractors
- Proven track record of monitoring highway works
- Demonstrable customer care skills
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Good budgetary management skills
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite including Word and Excel
- Full driving licence or the ability to travel around the borough on a daily basis
Re is a Joint Venture between the London Borough of Barnet and Capita delivering Highways, Planning and Regulatory services on behalf of the Borough. The Re Highways Service exists to provide high quality and cost-effective highways and transportation management solutions, which are of real benefit to residents, businesses and visitors of the London Borough of Barnet, both now and into the future.
The Service encompasses three integrated teams i.e. Asset Management; Traffic Management & Compliance; and Performance, Programme and Innovation. The teams are underpinned by robust Business Support Functions to ensure the right decision at the right time.
The Service has in place clear performance and improvement mechanisms to ensure that every team understands and delivers against their roles and responsibilities in relation to ‘The Way We Work’. This approach enables all activities to be undertaken in an integrated and focused way delivering the Service vision, objectives and outcomes in an accurate and timely fashion, ensuring Service Excellence at every point of customer contact.
What’s in it for you?
- A competitive basic salary
- 23 days holiday (rising to 27) with the opportunity to buy extra leave
- The opportunity to take a paid day out of the office, volunteering for our charity partners or a cause of your choice
- Company matched pension, life assurance, a cycle2work scheme, 15 weeks’ fully paid maternity, adoption and shared parental leave…and plenty more
- Voluntary benefits designed to suit your lifestyle – from discounts on retail and socialising, to health & wellbeing, travel and technology
- Access to our Employee Network Groups, which represent every strand of diversity and allow colleagues to connect and learn from each other on an open, inclusive platform
You’ll get the chance to follow your chosen career path anywhere in Capita. You’ll be joining a network of 63,000 experienced, innovative and dedicated individuals across multiple disciplines and sectors. There are countless opportunities to learn new skills and develop in your career, and we’ll provide the support you need to do just that. Our purpose is to create a better outcome for you.
What we hope you’ll do next:
Choose ‘Apply now’ to fill out our short application, so that we can find out more about you.
We’re an equal opportunity employer, which means we’ll consider all suitably qualified applicants regardless of gender identity or expression, ethnic origin, nationality, religion or beliefs, age, sexual orientation, disability status or any other protected characteristic. We recruit and develop our people based on merit and their passion for creating better outcomes, and we’re committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
All interviews, assessments and background checks will continue to take place online, to completely remove the need for face-to-face contact. All Capita colleagues who can work from home should do so; and where it is not possible for colleagues to work remotely, we have taken important steps to protect those working from Capita’s offices. Social distancing, enhanced hygiene and safety measures are already in place at all Capita locations that are open to protect our colleagues and manage the risk of COVID-19. The welfare of our people is of paramount importance to us, and we’re doing everything we can to keep our colleagues and customers safe during this time.