Quantity Surveyor - Education
Quantity Surveyor - Education
Permanent, Full Time
Up to £47,507 per annum
Closing Date: 24th May 2021
The Capital Investment and Delivery team will develop and deliver the capital programme for Essex County Council. The team will focus on developing opportunities for capital investment in order to secure financial returns to support the Council's strategic priorities.
The Quantity Surveyor will contribute to the financial and contractual management of the Major Capital Projects delivered by Infrastructure Delivery Team, providing advice and guidance in respect of cost and value for money, professional and contractual matters, to ensure key milestones are met.
Qualified as a quantity surveyor with membership of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors and experience in construction -related contractual issues. This role will contribute to the detailed financial analysis of contracts and the pursuit of value for money and innovation in delivery of major capital projects.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
· Deliver advice and guidance regarding financial, professional, contractual matters in respect of construction and consultancy contracts.
· Review the operation of consultancy contracts, identifying issues and making recommendations to resolve contractual and legal matters.
· Build effective working relationships with consultants and contractors to monitor capital projects, identify risks and issues to ensure successful, timely delivery within budget.
· Undertake valuations when required and ensures the timely production of building contract financial reports and their analysis, to appraise client contracts and assist with the management of the overall capital programme.
· Establishes estimated project costs at feasibility stage to agreed parameters and following industry standard estimating practices.
· Oversees the procurement of consultancy and contractor services following set procedures and utilising frameworks and other appropriate avenues.
· Deliver an assessment of risk and fire insurance values for contracts to ensure adequate cover.
· Deliver routine advice and guidance to voluntary aided establishments on contractual, procedural and financial matters.
· Support the delivery of services, ensuring that performance meets short, medium and long term performance and quality targets.
Knowledge, skills and experience
· Educated to degree level or equivalent, qualified as a quantity surveyor.
· Evidence of continuing professional development, knowledge in relevant professional area with membership of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors.
· Experience in construction -related contractual issues, highlighting issues and taking action as required.
· Evidence of working with contractors and consultants to achieve successful delivery.
· Commercial and business development skills with a track record of maximising income generation opportunities.
· An ability to build strong relationships and partnerships which encourage collaboration and engender delivery.
· Experience of delivering cultural and organisational change in complex situations.
As part of employment with Essex County Council should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please visit: https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees. For more information please use the following link: https://www.workingforessex.com/working-here/pay-reward/
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.
If you have queries on this role or require anything further, please email or call us on 0333 013 5888 Lines are open Monday to Friday between 08:30 - 16:30.