Principal Quantity Surveyor - Education
Principal Quantity Surveyor - Education
Permanent, Full Time
Up to £52,000 per annum
Closing Date: 24th May 2021
The Capital Investment and Delivery team develops and delivers the buildings and major highways programme of works for Essex County Council. The team's focus is to advance opportunities for capital investment in order to secure financial returns which support's the Council's countywide strategic priorities.
The role of Principal Quantity Surveyor (PQS) will be key to achieving cost effective and timely delivery across all projects. The PQS will develop and maintain cost benchmark data, generate compliant and viable budgets at the early stages of project development and manage costs throughout delivery. The role will oversee the commercial activity of the QS team, ensuring a quality service and developing opportunities for external revenue generation.
The PQS shall lead the financial and contractual management of Projects, and, will provide expert commercial advice throughout all stages of Project Delivery to ensure key project milestones and value for money is met.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
· Accountable for the provision of expert cost and construction contract advice (NEC / JCT) to project teams and wider ECC for a range of infrastructure types from small scale projects to multi-million-pound programmes.
· Accountable for applying cost data to emerging project proposals and providing comparative budget modelling advice for design options and materials choices. Working collaboratively with internal and external cost managers to ensure whole life cost implications are adequately identified and bench marking of completed project costs to agreed parameters is undertaken.
· Proactively and continually lead the drive to deliver cost reduction across ECC projects, taking into consideration lessons learned, best practice, market trends and regulatory change, to ensure this informs the viability of estimated project costs at feasibility stage to agreed parameters and is in line with industry standard estimating practices
· Manages the Quantity Surveying Team and service including assigning workloads, supporting development (CPD), mentoring and reviewing outputs.
· Responsible for the commercial delivery of Quantity Surveying services within the Capital Investment and Delivery team, ensuring that performance and quality meets short, medium and long term targets.
· Manages and has a programme overview of project related Contracts and Appointments to identify and make recommendations to resolve contractual and legal matters. This role will undertake financial analysis of contracts and will require an understanding of contract related procurement.
· Responsible for maintaining effective internal and external working relationships and stakeholder management for the Quantity Surveying function.
· Responsible for the financial analysis, reporting and continued monitoring of Capital Projects, including commercial risk management to ensure successful, timely delivery within budget
· Ensures timely and accurate production of Pre Construction Deeds and Building and Highways Contracts, applying latest learning and best practice.
· Responsible for undertaking valuations / final accounts / settlement negotiations as required
Knowledge, skills and experience
· Educated to degree level or equivalent, qualified as a Quantity Surveyor or Construction Manager with 10 years post qualification experience.
· Evidence of continuing professional development, expert knowledge in relevant professional area with membership of the RICS.
· Significant experience and relevant qualifications in estimating and cost management across a broad spectrum of Local Authority project types and values with evidence of successfully driving value from projects utilising NEC3/4 and JCT forms of contract.
· Proven track record of working with Governing bodies, contractors and consultants to achieve successful delivery.
· Experience with procuring projects via Local Authority and Government Frameworks, including traditional and modular build.
· Commercial and business development skills with a track record of maximising income generation opportunities.
· Ability to build strong relationships and partnerships which encourage collaboration and engender delivery.
· Experience of influencing and delivering cultural and organisational change in complex situations
As part of employment with Essex County Council should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please visit: https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees. For more information please use the following link: https://www.workingforessex.com/working-here/pay-reward/