Domestic Energy Efficiency Programme Officer
Domestic Energy Efficiency Programme Officer
Fixed Term, Full Time
Up to £40,469 per annum
Closing Date: 18th May 2021
Please note this is a 2 year fixed term contract.
Essex County Council (ECC) is committed to changing the way we work, produce, consume, and travel to act on climate change and significantly reduce carbon emissions, air pollution and waste in the County.
In Essex, domestic housing is responsible for about 1/3rd of total greenhouse emissions. This sector has significant potential to decarbonise and unlock wider benefits across the economy: energy savings increasing consumer spending power and tackle fuel poverty, warm homes reducing impacts on our health system and the creation of new skilled jobs stimulating green economic growth.
The Domestic Energy Efficiency Programme Officer will help develop, scale up and deliver ECC's Climate Action ambitions for the existing domestic housing sector, working across ECC to drive this agenda.
With experience of the domestic energy efficiency retrofit challenge, and an understanding of funding and green finance opportunities, the role will develop an action plan to scale up domestic energy retrofits.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
· The role requires a strong leadership and strategic mindset to support project delivery, identify and bid for further funding as well as develop the domestic energy efficiency strategy, being able to prioritise and organise effectively.
· Profile the market for home decarbonisation and resilience in Essex, develop a funding strategy to support the rapid development of demonstration projects, and work with partners to develop the market for financing net zero and resilient homes and encourage financial innovation at scale.
· Build strong working partnerships with key stakeholders in the public and private sectors involved in the retrofit challenge to develop an ambitious action plan that takes forward the recommendations from the Essex Climate Action Commission and the Council's climate action ambitions.
· Monitor the Domestic Energy Efficiency sector market trends, regulatory developments, and local government commercial activity to identify opportunities that align with and accelerates the Councils' Climate Action ambitions. Draw on the best practice and evidence from across the UK to inform ECC's action plan.
· Prepare business cases, briefings, Cabinet Member Actions and Key Decision papers for members as required.
Knowledge, skills and experience
· Educated to degree level in a relevant environmental subject or equivalent by experience
· Evidence of continuing professional development and expert knowledge in relevant professional area e.g., members of IEMA
· Experience in accessing and delivering funding bids, preferably in domestic housing retrofit and fuel poverty initiatives.
· A background in a relevant field, with knowledge of domestic energy efficiency retrofit essential, with experience developing strategies and working with multiple stakeholders.
· Experience of Green Finance and some knowledge of issues of financing energy efficient buildings and financial solutions that incentivise retrofit projects desirable.
· Must be highly numerate, highly confident analyzing data and information, excellent analytical skills but able to contextualize into simple messaging focused on actions
· Basic understanding and knowledge of public sector business practices ideally with knowledge and/or experience of public procurement processes.
· Shows persistence and resilience. Confident team player who is also able to work on own initiative - action orientated. Professional with a high level of commitment and enthusiasm with good ability to prioritise, plan and manage competing demands.
As part of employment with Essex County Council should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please visit: https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees. For more information please use the following link: https://www.workingforessex.com/working-here/pay-reward/
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.
If you have queries on this role or require anything further, please email or call us on 0333 013 5888 Lines are open Monday to Friday between 08:30 - 16:30.