Business Support Assistant
Please note that this is a fixed term contract post for 1 year.
Essex County Council (ECC) is one of the largest and most dynamic local authorities in the UK, serving a population of 2 million residents, and has a very successful track record of delivering transformational change. ECC anticipated change was needed in the public sector and has worked to deliver better quality at lower cost. We have an ambitious transformation agenda - one with the scope to reach every part of the council. We are changing the way we think, the way we work, and the ways in which we deliver our services. We are committed to becoming a place where individuals, partners and communities feel proud to play their role and genuinely want to belong. We're immensely proud of our flexible working options.
Business Support is an integral part of the council and will provide key skills to progress within ECC. We promote flexible working which will enable you to work from other locations throughout the county.
This role involves working as part of a business support team to deliver effective, routine administrative support within a business centre; learning and developing an understanding of existing processes and systems and develop knowledge of Social Care teams and other corporate functions.
As a Business Support Assistant, you will provide general administrative support to ECC, dealing with day to day work instructed from the Business Centre Manager. Accurate and efficient data entry onto ECC systems is required, to ensure that all customer service requests are met within a specified time frame and are in line with data protection policies.
ECC provide a minute taking service as requested, therefore relevant transferable skills are desirable, however full training will be provided.
* Providing high quality, efficient and effective Business Support services to internal and external customers within agreed timescales and Service Level Agreements (SLAs).
* Responding to customer requests and queries in a timely and efficient way.
* Acting as a professional representative of the Business Support service at a local level.
* Delivering the required activities of the respective business centre(s).
* Providing high quality self-directed administrative support, checking own work and proactively looking to raise standards.
* Maintaining confidential records according to Essex County Council guidance.
* Dealing with correspondence for the team or service in a timely, consistent and professional manner.
* Sharing knowledge and good practice with colleagues and highlighting more efficient ways of doing tasks.
Knowledge Skills and Experience:
Good Standard of basic education - 5 GCSEs grade C and above (including Maths and English) or comparable experience/qualifications.
* Ability to use computerised systems with a high level of speed and accuracy - including Microsoft Office applications and internal ECC databases.
* Previous experience of managing electronic or hard copy filing systems.
* Ability to communicate in a manner which is easily understood and tailored to meet the needs of the audience.
* As part of the role you may have access to sensitive and/or personal information.
* Ability to think about alternative ways of doing things and being open to new work practices and responsive to change.
* Ability to take ownership of work and fulfil agreed commitments, checking work for accuracy.
* This position may require minute taking experience, therefore relevant transferable skills are desirable, however full training will be provided.
Qualification certificates should be brought to interview.
As part of employment with Essex County Council (ECC) should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please go to https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service .
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees. More information can be found on https://www.workingforessex.com/benefits
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.
If you have any queries regarding this role, or require anything further, please contact the Essex Recruitment Team on 0333 013 5888.