Built Heritage Consultant
7 days left
- Contract Type
- Full time
Built Heritage Consultant
Permanent, Full Time
Up to £36,075 per annum
Closing Date: 27th June 2021
Place Services is at the forefront of environmental consultancy in the public sector, and integral to our success are our people. We are a traded service of Essex County Council and our purpose is to support public sector organisations to deliver their role in sustainable development. The growth of our service means we are looking for a highly motivated, enthusiastic and versatile historic buildings specialist to join our Historic Environment team.
The key responsibility of this role is to contribute to the effective technical delivery of our built heritage specialism. We offer a unique post which is one of the most diverse in the sector, providing a range of experience across a broad geographic area. You will form part of a team that act as Conservation Advisers to local planning authorities in Essex, London, Hertfordshire, Derbyshire and Northamptonshire. As well as providing support to local planning authorities, you will undertake a diverse range of project work.
Reporting to the Historic Environment Manager, the Consultant will contribute to realising our on-going commercial success and aspirations for growth. This will require good technical knowledge and project/client management skills, as well as creative thinking, to ensure effective and profitable delivery of our services.
Based in our offices in Chelmsford, we offer the opportunity for you to develop your expertise as part of a performance-driven team of dedicated professionals, in a region with a rich and varied heritage of historic environment. We invest in and are committed to the development of our staff, fully funding membership of both the IHBC and CIfA, as well as providing funded training to individuals throughout the year. Place Services are on the Institute of Historic Building Conservation's HESPR register and we are a Registered Organisation with the Chartered Institute for Archaeologists.
Due to the Covid-19 Pandemic, there is currently a requirement for homeworking and this is supported through provision of appropriate I.T. hardware and software.
Typical aspects of this role include :
* Provision of conservation advice (role of conservation officer) to at least one local authority through written responses and meetings (including on site and virtually);
* Production of/contribution to conservation area appraisals and design guidance;
* Cross working with our archaeological specialists;
* Joint working with our Natural and Built Environment teams within Place Services;
* Production of Built Heritage Statements and Conservation Management Plans; and
* Contribution to our diverse project work.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
* Educated to postgraduate level in building conservation (or related discipline) with demonstrable professional experience, or to degree level in building conservation (or related discipline) with significant built heritage experience.
* Has or working towards full membership of the Institute of Historic Building Conservation (IHBC).
* A minimum of two years relevant work experience as a built heritage specialist in either the private or public sector.
* Good knowledge of guidance, legislation and planning policy pertaining to the historic environment.
* Good level of technical experience and knowledge of building conservation/historic buildings, including: site analysis, researching and preparing evidence base reports, and experience of development management and listed building consent proposals.
* Good written and verbal communication skills, including report writing and presentation, allied with confident and professional interpersonal skills.
* Good project management skills, including ability to prioritise work whilst maintaining focus on key projects or activities, within tightly defined timescales.
* A full driving licence, and access to a car, is an essential requirement of this role.
Comprehensive training and CPD is available, including access to our annual programme of Traditional Building Skills, Conservation courses and lectures: https://www.placeservices.co.uk/courses/
For an informal discussion about the position please call Historic Environment Manager Tim Murphy (07738 886108) or email .