Senior Structural Engineer
Making communities safer as a senior structural engineer
We’re supporting our clients as they adapt to a new world in the wake of COVID-19. We’re now recruiting for roles which will help our clients to deliver vital services and to resume business wherever possible.
Join us as a senior structural engineer for Capita RE Highways, a joint venture between Capita and the London Borough of Barnet, where you’ll play a key role in ensuring Barnet’s highways and infrastructure are safe and secure for local residents and customers. It’ll be your job to respond to complaints and identify problems, managing and assessing everything you’ll need to carry out improvements and repairs. You’ll need previous leadership experience, as you’ll leading a team of fellow structural engineers, including some graduates, as well as commissioning consultants and contractors where appropriate. Together, you’ll maintain and improve the integrity of highways structure assets in accordance with legislative and best practice guidelines. It won’t just be your ability to spot inefficiencies, but the expertise you’ll bring and willingness to offer solutions that will help make our borough a happier, safer place to live and thrive.
Our business is in an exciting period of transformation; led by a new senior leadership team[SW1] , we’ve already remobilised many of our services to bring in new and more efficient systems and policies, and have built a supportive, hardworking team all working towards the same goal: to create better outcomes. In exchange for your hard work, we’ll give you access to structured training and development, as well as the opportunity to work on new and exciting projects both small and large that will upskill both you and your team. Apply now to have the chance to take on new challenges across the public and private sector, and to help make life in Barnet better.
What you’ll be doing:
- undertaking and commissioning the asset management of the highways structures, including the Bridge Assessment Programme
- developing programmes of works to ensure effective management of highways structures; identifying and seeking relevant funding and resources
- providing professional, technical support and advice in relation to highways structures to support their delivery and structural consultation on a range of council projects
- leading the successful delivery of highways, engineering structural schemes and programmes from inception through to final completion
- undertaking approval in principle procedures on behalf of the Council (as Technical Approval Authority) for the assessment, modification and new construction of any type of Council owned or private structure on public roads
- preparing estimates and leading on the supervision of contracts to ensure compliance with contract specifications, financial regulations, standing orders and the relevant legislation
- carrying out technical investigations as directed, including the preparation of reports on findings.
What we’re looking for:
- a degree in Civil Engineering / Transportation or equivalent relevant experience
- excellent structural engineering and asset management knowledge
- knowledge of associated IT systems, applications and packages (including Bridge Station)
- a good understanding of engineering contracts, contract procedures and contract law for delivery of works, including Construction Design and Management Regulations (2017)
- relevant experience of highways contract supervision, including the preparation of contract bill of quantities, specifications and associated contract documents
- a strong general knowledge of highways and transport policies and associated working knowledge of legislation.
About Local Government Services
At Government Services, we’re transforming the way governments and local councils serve the public. We’re using technology, innovation and domain knowledge to improve services and deliver savings. Our teams are answering 30,000 emergency service calls every day and our Ultra Low Emissions Zone is helping Londoners breath cleaner air.
About Regional Enterprise Ltd
Regional Enterprise Ltd (Re) is the joint venture between the London Borough of Barnet and Capita. Together, we’re providing new ways to deliver services and meet the needs of the businesses and residents in our local community. Our projects include traffic and highways management, creating new sustainable travel options for local residents, regeneration and planning and development. Join us and discover better as you shape the lives of Barnet residents.
What’s in it for you?
- A competitive salary of up to £52,000 per annum
- Initial 23 days’ holiday with the opportunity to buy extra leave
- The opportunity to take a paid day out of the office, volunteering for our charity partners or a cause of your choice
- Company matched pension, life assurance, a cycle2work scheme, 15 weeks’ fully paid maternity, adoption and shared parental leave, paternity pay of two weeks… and plenty more
- Voluntary benefits designed to suit your lifestyle – from discounts on retail and socialising, to health & wellbeing, travel and technology
- Access to our Employee Network Groups, which represent every strand of diversity and allow colleagues to connect and learn from each other on an open, inclusive platform
- Flexible working options available – just ask
You’ll get the chance to follow your chosen career path anywhere in Capita. You’ll be joining a network of 61,000 experienced, innovative and dedicated individuals across multiple disciplines and sectors. There are countless opportunities to learn new skills and develop in your career, and we’ll provide the support you need to do just that. Our purpose is to create a better outcome for you.
What we hope you’ll do next:
Choose ‘Apply now’ to fill out our short application, so that we can find out more about you.
We’re an equal opportunity employer, which means we’ll consider all suitably qualified applicants regardless of gender identity or expression, ethnic origin, nationality, religion or beliefs, age, sexual orientation, disability status or any other protected characteristic. We recruit and develop our people based on merit and their passion for creating better outcomes, and we’re committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
We’re continuing to adapt to the unprecedented circumstances brought about by COVID-19. Wherever possible, all interviews, assessments and background checks will take place online, to completely remove the need for face-to-face contact. Capita colleagues are only permitted to work from one of our offices where there is an essential reason for them to do so. Social distancing, enhanced hygiene and safety measures are already in place at all Capita locations that are open to protect our colleagues and manage the risk of COVID-19.
The welfare of our people is of paramount importance to us, and we’re doing everything we can to keep our colleagues and customers safe during this time.