Senior Social Worker - Family Support & Protection
Senior Practitioner - Family Support & Protection
Permanent, Full Time
£40,637 to £49,183 per annum + free on-site parking
Closing Date: 21st June 2021
We are looking for an experienced, motivated and creative social worker to join our team. We are offering an opportunity for someone who is looking for career development in a supportive, stable team, who is committed to and can model relationship based social work in a Senior Practitioner position.
The post will entail managing a reduced caseload, overseeing a 'pod' of 3 - 4 social workers providing day to day consultation and support to less experienced staff.
Family Support and Protection
The Family Support and Protection (FS&P) teams work with families on Child in Need & Child Protection plans to promote sustainable change. FS&P Social Workers are responsible for building positive relationships with families using systemic and strengths based social work approaches. The work is varied and involves working with Public Law Outline (PLO), Court work including S.7 report and when necessary taking families into proceedings and some Special Guardianship Order (SGO) assessments. Through regular reflective supervision and access to CPD/Training from the Essex Social Care Academy a BASW accredited CPD provider you will be encouraged to be creative and innovative in the direct work you undertake with families. We believe that giving families a supportive environment, encouragement and insight helps them to navigate and achieve change. This means we can say goodbye to families knowing they have to tools to sustain change.
The Senior Practitioner role provides leadership in the team, providing both support and mentoring to newly qualified or less experienced staff and deputising for the Team Manager when needed. They will oversee the review of some child in need plans particularly prior to closure and will have responsibility to lead in a practice area. There will be good opportunities for their own professional development and for being part of developing our team and service. There is an ethos of openness to the development of new ideas, particularly to reinforce our relationship based focus, both with our service users and within the staff group.
The successful candidate will be expected to bring skill and high standards of social work to their own caseload as well as providing modelling, advice and support to colleagues. They will be committed to systemic, relationship based social work, providing effective, innovative interventions and with the ability to build good partnerships, both with our external partners and within the organisation.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Diploma in Social Work, CQSW, CSS or equivalent.
- Social Work England registration as a Registered Social Worker
- Evidence of continuing professional development
- IT/Word Processing Skills
- Evidence of recent practice at an experienced social worker level, supported by comprehensive working knowledge and experience within the field of practice in Children Services
- Preferably with experience of Child Protection work including section 47 investigations and assessments since the implementation of the Children's Act 1989.Considerable, recent experience of communicating with children of all ages and working in partnership with parents and/or carers.
- Experience in planning activities and programmes for children, young people and parents.
- Experience of Court work in relation to Child Care matters and have an understanding of the legal process.
- Detailed knowledge of current legislation pertinent to Child Protection (e.g. CA1989, CJA1991), Guidance and Regulations.
- Knowledge and understanding of child development, relating theory and practice.
The role requires you to be mobile throughout a wide operational area including travelling around the county of Essex and beyond, transporting service users and their belongings and to be able to do so in an emergency. Driving licence and car or ability to meet the mobility requirements of the role through other means is essential.