Senior user researcher
About Royal Greenwich
Royal Greenwich is proud to be a borough synonymous with first class modern services. A world heritage site, our communities are vibrant and diverse, and we pride ourselves on being a well-managed and well-run authority.
We have also recently published our first digital strategy. To make that strategy into a reality, we need to hire a new digital, data and technology team to join our existing skill set.
As a Senior User Researcher, you will be part of our brand new in-house product function. You will be taking a key role in the user research community across Royal Borough of Greenwich, setting standards and leading user research of new, complex products and services.
About the role
Senior User Researcher in Royal Greenwich, are the senior practitioner, working through the entire design and delivery process, from primary and secondary research, making research actionable to evaluating the impact throughout a design and delivery process.
They directly lead on our most complex, risky and interdependent priority areas, working as part of the multidisciplinary team and partner with service areas to help define research focus, frame problems, uncover needs, strength and constraints.
They identify opportunities and help stakeholders to reimagine their services and products to improve service outcomes and reduce the cost of delivery.
Driven by impact, they use data, design thinking and agile ways of working to solve problems, test ideas quickly to learn things that matter.
- You will be working with different types of service across digital and non-digital channels and methods of access.
- You will help people see their services through a people lens with a design state of mind, helping them to map and discover opportunities for transformation in their areas.
- You'll work with our staff and residents to understand user need, prioritise needs into service and product capabilities and acting as the bridge between resident need and service/ product design. This will include working in the open with the user at the centre of all you do, including potentially working across multiple delivery teams concurrently.
- You will engage with our diverse community groups within the borough, acting as the bridge between data and lived experience and hearing how their voices and experiences can be translated into service delivery. Taking the same approach, you will treat staff as equally valued users as residents; working to understand their service needs and guide delivery in the same evidence-driven way.
- You will work with senior leaders across the council to help them understand user research and insights, helping them see what's possible.
- You'll use agile ways of working to iterate what you do and be an ambassador for agile ways of working as well as user-centred design.
- You will take a key role in developing and growing the user research community of practice, codifying ways of working.
- You will be line managing people, helping develop our people and managing performance robustly.
- You will be actively looking for opportunities to improve the internal process of knowledge management, learning and development, getting feedback, running design critique and meetings, etc.
Who are we looking for?
We're looking for empathetic, kind, well-organised people who've started their career in user research and are passionate about joining our mission. You should be good at working in a team, at applying a range of research techniques, and at working with both qualitative and quantitative data.
During the current Covid-19 response you will be working mainly at home; when the pandemic has abated you'll have a mixture of home and office-based working.
Why join in Royal Greenwich?
This is a great role in a vibrant and growing team; in return, we offer a range of benefits which include:
- Annual Season Ticket Loan
- Childcare Voucher Scheme
- Learning and development opportunities to maximise your potential, including excellent apprenticeship opportunities at all levels
- Reduced rate Gym Membership
- Eyecare Vouchers
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Long Service Awards
- Generous Annual Leave entitlement and
- Excellent Pension Scheme
- GreenwichCard which entitles you to discounts at local businesses
- Employee Assistance Scheme including external counselling service
- A range of flexible working arrangements
- Staff networks
Benefits of working for us
With offices based in the heart of Woolwich, Royal Greenwich is a great place to live and work.
Benefiting from excellent transport links ranging from buses and tubes to trains and ferries, along with the developing Crossrail expansions, Royal Greenwich is one of the easiest boroughs to get to and navigate your way around. It takes 21 minutes to get into central London and 10 minutes from The O2.
If you are interested, we would love to hear from you.
Royal Borough of Greenwich reserves the right to close any vacancy earlier than the advertised closing date should there be a high volume of applications received.