Senior product designer
About Royal Greenwich
Royal Greenwich is proud to be a borough synonymous with first class modern services. A world heritage site, our communities are vibrant and diverse, and we pride ourselves on being a well-managed and well-run authority.
We have also recently published our first digital strategy. To make that strategy into a reality, we need to hire a new digital, data and technology team to join our existing skill set.
As a Service Designer, you will be part of our brand-new in-house product function. You be responsible for designing end-to-end services, working in partnership with various teams in the council to help them establish and realise ideas for how digital, data and technology can help them better meet user need.
About the role
Senior Product Designers in Royal Greenwich, are the senior practitioner, working through the entire product lifecycle of discovery, alpha, beta and live.
They directly lead on our most complex, risky and interdependent service areas and products in an empowered multidisciplinary team environment.
They identify product opportunities and proposition, come up with product strategy and roadmap, design end-to-end experience that can be delivered within existing product and technology ecosystem, define measures and test hypotheses through prototyping.
They act as an ambassador for product thinking and agile ways of working to help stakeholders to reimagine their products to support service delivery.
They build living 'product eco-systems', reusable 'design system', clear and consistent style guide to ensure Royal Greenwich's services are simple, accessible and cost-effective to deliver.
- You will be working on high profile and cross-cutting digital products and components to enable service delivery across the councils.
- You will contribute to identify design patterns and creating reusable 'design system' to tackle common problems and increase consistency of product delivery.
- You will be the advocate on behalf of users, making sure that prototypes and products are designed to meet their needs and deliver the best possible user experience.
- You will help people see their services through a people lens with a design state of mind, helping them to identify product opportunities within existing technology eco-system.
- You will work with senior leaders across the council to help them understand product design and interaction design, helping them see what's possible.
- You'll use agile ways of working to iterate what you do and be an ambassador for agile ways of working as well as user-centred design.
- You will take a key role in developing and growing the product design community of practice, codifying ways of working.
- You will be line managing people, helping develop our people and managing performance robustly.
- You will be actively looking for opportunities to improve the internal process of knowledge management, learning and development, getting feedback, running design critique and meetings, etc.
Who are we looking for?
We're looking for people with already working in product design, UX design, interaction design, front-end development or a similar field, who care deeply about user need, building sustainable products and who want to work on a great social mission and grow their careers here at Royal Greenwich.
We actively encourage applications from under-represented groups. At the moment, the role will be 100% remote working. As the covid pandemic abates, we would like you to work partly from the office and partly from home.
Why join in Royal Greenwich?
This is a great role in a vibrant and growing team; in return, we offer a range of benefits which include:
- Annual Season Ticket Loan
- Childcare Voucher Scheme
- Learning and development opportunities to maximise your potential, including excellent apprenticeship opportunities at all levels
- Reduced rate Gym Membership
- Eyecare Vouchers
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Long Service Awards
- Generous Annual Leave entitlement and
- Excellent Pension Scheme
- GreenwichCard which entitles you to discounts at local businesses
- Employee Assistance Scheme including external counselling service
- A range of flexible working arrangements
- Staff networks
Benefits of working for us
With offices based in the heart of Woolwich, Royal Greenwich is a great place to live and work.
Benefiting from excellent transport links ranging from buses and tubes to trains and ferries, along with the developing Crossrail expansions, Royal Greenwich is one of the easiest boroughs to get to and navigate your way around. It takes 21 minutes to get into central London and 10 minutes from The O2.
The Royal Greenwich Values are:
- Improving residents lives and opportunities
- Demonstrating respect and fairness
- Taking ownership
- Doing things better
- Working together across the Council
If you are interested, we would love to hear from you.
Royal Borough of Greenwich reserves the right to close any vacancy earlier than the advertised closing date should there be a high volume of applications received.