About Royal Greenwich
Royal Greenwich is proud to be a borough synonymous with first class modern services. A world heritage site, our communities are vibrant and diverse, and we pride ourselves on being a well-managed and well-run authority.
We have also recently published our first digital strategy. To make that strategy into a reality, we need to hire a new digital, data and technology team to join our existing skill set.
As a Service Designer, you will be part of our brand-new in-house product function. You be responsible for designing end-to-end services, working in partnership with various teams in the council to help them establish and realise ideas for how digital, data and technology can help them better meet user need.
About the role
Product Designers in Royal Greenwich works through the entire product lifecycle of discovery, alpha, beta and live.
They work with other members of multi-disciplinary teams in an empowered and fast learning environment.
They identify product opportunities and proposition, design end-to-end experience that can be delivered within existing product and technology ecosystem, define measures and test hypotheses through prototyping.
They act as an ambassador for product thinking and agile ways of working to help stakeholders to reimagine their products to support service delivery.
They contribute to the growth of a living 'product eco-systems', reusable 'design system', clear and consistent style guide to ensure Royal Greenwich's services are simple, accessible and cost-effective to deliver.
- You will be working on designing and developing digital products and components to enable service delivery across the councils.
- You will contribute to identify design patterns and creating reusable 'design system' to tackle common problems and increase consistency of product delivery.
- You will be the advocate on behalf of users, making sure that prototypes and products are designed to meet their needs and deliver the best possible user experience.
- You will help people see their services through a people lens with a design state of mind, helping them to identify product opportunities within existing technology eco-system.
- You will work with senior leaders across the council to help them understand product design and interaction design, helping them see what's possible.
- You'll use agile ways of working to iterate what you do and be an ambassador for agile ways of working as well as user-centred design.
- You will be a critical member of the product design community of practice and help its ongoing growth.
Who are we looking for?
We're looking for people with already working in product design, UX design, interaction design, front-end development or a similar field, who care deeply about user need, building sustainable products and who want to work on a great social mission and grow their careers here at Royal Greenwich.
We actively encourage applications from under-represented groups. At the moment, the role will be 100% remote working. As the covid pandemic abates, we would like you to work partly from the office and partly from home.
Why join in Royal Greenwich?
This is a great role in a vibrant and growing team; in return, we offer a range of benefits which include:
- Annual Season Ticket Loan
- Childcare Voucher Scheme
- Learning and development opportunities to maximise your potential, including excellent apprenticeship opportunities at all levels
- Reduced rate Gym Membership
- Eyecare Vouchers
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Long Service Awards
- Generous Annual Leave entitlement and
- Excellent Pension Scheme
- GreenwichCard which entitles you to discounts at local businesses
- Employee Assistance Scheme including external counselling service
- A range of flexible working arrangements
- Staff networks
The Royal Greenwich Values are:
- Improving residents lives and opportunities
- Demonstrating respect and fairness
- Taking ownership
- Doing things better
- Working together across the Council
If you are interested, we would love to hear from you.
To apply, please click the Apply button below and complete an application form - you will be prompted to upload a CV and a covering letter (of no more than 2 sides of A4). Please ensure that these clearly show how you meet the criteria set out in the Person Specification document.
As part of the selection process, you will need to explain how you meet the key requirements for this role listed in the advert.
Royal Borough of Greenwich reserves the right to close any vacancy earlier than the advertised closing date should there be a high volume of applications received.