Sales Assistant/Shop Worker
Please note this is a temporary, as and when position, located at Belhus Woods Country Park.
Essex is a diverse county with some of the highest levels of deprivation in the country through to highly affluent communities, which gives us a wide variance in life expectancy and quality. Culture and Green Spaces will deliver exceptional customer experiences, demonstrating the benefit of Essex's strategic location, with the objective of developing a financially sustainable operation.
Sales Assistants will collect payment from the sale of souvenirs and refreshments in the Country Parks. Providing an excellent customer experience by offering help and support to visitors.
- Work as part of a team to provide excellent customer service to visitors to country park shops and kiosks, including first aid, complaints and report of incidents
- Serve refreshments and ice cream, collecting money from sales, and other country park services as appropriate.
- Restock items as required, contribute to ordering goods for resale and ensure cleanliness of café/shop areas at all times. Carry out First Aid once appropriately trained.
- Contribute to the daily cashing up and stock take as required.
- Respond to customer and other enquiries either in person or by telephone.
- Adhere to health & safety and health & hygiene requirements.
- Work collaboratively across the site, to assist with car parking and maintaining a welcoming, clean and tidy environment.
- Specific individual and shared targets and objectives are defined annually within the performance management framework.
Skills Knowledge and Experience
- Educated to RQF Level 2 (GCSE) or equivalent by experience.
- Evidence of knowledge in relevant area.
- Good communication skills with the ability to engage with visitors to the site.
- Experience of delivering customer service in a retail environment is desirable.
This position will initially, in line with current government guidance be based from home, with an expectation of being home based for the foreseeable future. However, if / when government guidelines change the role may then revert to being office based, whilst retaining some flexible working options.
Please note that Essex County Council has determined that the off-payroll working rules will apply to this assignment and where a worker elects to provide their services through an intermediary (such as a personal services company) then income tax and primary national insurance contributions will be deducted at source from any payments made to the intermediary.
As part of employment with Essex County Council should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please visit: https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.
If you have any queries regarding this role, or require anything further, please email or call us on 0333 013 5888. Lines are open Monday to Friday 08:30 - 16.30.