Practice Evaluation & Audit Manager (Social Care)
Practice Evaluation & Audit Manager
Permanent, Full Time
£47,405 to £58,727 per annum
Closing Date: 1st July 2021
Children and Families is recognised as a service in which social work can develop and prosper, with a culture of collaboration, integrity and compassion; promoting the development and wellbeing of children, young people and their families; protecting them from neglect and abuse. Working together with partners delivering a range of early help, family support and effective social work interventions which build resilience, remove barriers and enable children and young people to look forward to a brighter future.
The Professional Standards and Audit Services (PSAS) Audit Team Manager is responsible for the management and oversight of the Countywide PSAS. The role leads on the development and delivery of audit activity across the Function, implementing Quality Assurance processes and audits to inform management actions and broader service development and training needs that emerge thematically.
Leading on the continuous evaluation of Team performance within the context of local and national targets and quality standards, the role ensures quality work across Essex by providing high quality management direction using professional and specialist knowledge to provide consultation for staff in order to achieve best practice. Working proactively and collaboratively with other professionals and with partner agencies the role will ensure the best possible outcomes for children and young people are achieved via Quality and Assurance processes.
Roles at this level will be focused on delivering results in a specific functional area. They will hold expertise on the application of policy and improvement of service delivery. These roles have clear team budgets and targets set within the overall service requirements.
- Responsible for the management of the day to day functions of the Children & Families Audit portfolio including driving monthly case file audit, thematic audit and multi-agency case audit activities, and using the learning from audit findings to develop, promote and support high quality practice and effective performance across the County
- Responsible for building and developing systems and approaches to audit, collating, analysing and reporting on qualitative and quantitative information accumulated through PSAS audit activity - identifying areas of practice and performance requiring further scrutiny.
- Responsible for writing business and management information reports on audit activity proactively and efficiently and presenting these at all levels of the service.
- Responsible for ensuring that the PSAS service meets its objectives and has effective means in place to assess its own performance against requirements in Working Together to Safeguard Children and other relevant guidance, for example Ofsted measures and SET Procedures.
- Responsible for using expert professional knowledge to give management direction to colleague Team Managers using the latest research and policy initiatives to drive performance improvement, ensuring any practice and performance issues are bought to the attention of the Service Manager.
- Responsible for taking a strategic view of the quadrant needs and services to identify areas of improvement; using professional expertise and knowledge to lead service development projects, and ensuring that audit activity is delivered to the expected standards and timescales when responding to practice curiosities that arise from local learning, Serious Case Reviews and Ofsted recommendations/issues.
- Lead in the development and delivery of Practice Workshops, both Multi-Disciplinary and other relevant subjects as required.
- Act as a source of expert advice and consultation for staff within Schools, Children and Families on quality assurance and audit related issues including being responsible for critically appraising practice and challenging this within identified forums to create a culture of continuous improvement.
- Responsible for maintaining a current and active interest and knowledge of key policy/legislation changes, research, and best practice initiatives. And for the development and implementation of relevant policies and procedures including quality standards and governance.
People management (including direct reports): To provide leadership and management to the Professional Standards and Audit Team including regular high quality, reflective supervision of staff.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- A recognised social work qualification i.e. Diploma, degree or Masters in social work, CQSW, CSS or equivalent, with current registration with Social Work England as a registered social worker
- Evidence of continuing professional development, aligned to any relevant Professional Competency/Capability frameworks or Knowledge & Skills Statements
- Sound working knowledge and experience of planning and service delivery within local or central government with demonstrable and proven record of achievement in same.
- Demonstrable understanding and awareness of leading and managing change within a large complex organisation.
- Proven experience of working with performance targets within a results lead environment.
- Proven experience of developing and implementing planning and performance frameworks in a multi-disciplinary and partnership environment.
- Excellent knowledge and application of research and analytical tools and techniques including advanced Excel skills.