Solicitor: Children's Safeguarding
Telford & Wrekin has a history of ambition and innovation. Home to the historic World Heritage site of Ironbridge, the birth place of the industrial revolution and, today, one of the fastest growing boroughs outside of London with an unmatched reputation for attracting inward investment and growth. Two thirds of the borough are rural and offers unrivalled access to green space whilst Telford town centre is a regional destination offering burgeoning night life and a retail offer second to none.
Telford & Wrekin Council is equally ambitious, being one of the first authorities to move to become a “commercial Council” to secure income to protect investment in our frontline services. This investment has seen both our children and adult safeguarding services ranked as “outstanding” by OFSTED and the CQC. We are an authority that works hard with, and for, our local community to get things done and make Telford a great place to live.
The Lexcel-accredited Legal Team provides legal advice, assistance and support to council officers, elected members and external clients at all levels.
Following significant investment into the Policy & Governance directorate, a number of vacancies have arisen within the Legal & Democracy Team, to include 2 Children's Safeguarding Solicitors within the Legal Team
Reporting to the Team Leader: People in Legal Services, the post-holder is responsible for undertaking a specialist local government safeguarding workload. Major tasks include:
- To undertake a workload of specialist legal advice matters with minimal supervision from the Team Leader: People. The post holder will be expected to advice on a varied area of local government safeguarding matters particularly relating to the following areas with an expectation that the post holder will have expert knowledge in at least one of the areas set out; children safeguarding, adult safeguarding, education, judicial review, high court proceedings and associated local government processes and decision-making. In addition the post holder may undertake an additional area of legal specialism undertaken by the People Team including civil litigation, criminal litigation, tribunals, public protection, town and country planning, employment, information law, council tax and business rates, leisure and community services and associated local government processes and decision-making.
- To attend Council, Cabinet and/or Committee meetings as required particularly, but not exclusively, in relation to the post holder’s specialist area of expertise as referred to in paragraph 2.1.
- To provide advice, assistance and support to council officers, elected members and external clients at all levels including; advocacy, training, document drafting and review, attending meetings and providing written advice.
- To liaise with external individuals and organisations to further the aims and objectives of the Council including; counsel, external legal advisors, other expert advisors and witnesses, other public bodies, bidders for Council services (and/or their representatives), private sector partners and contractors and external clients
For further information on the role please click on the job description and person specification which is available below.
Please complete the online application form as CVs will not be accepted.
We are committed to equality and diversity.
Job Description & Person Specification
More searches like this
- Corporate Services Solicitor £40,000 - £49,999 Full time jobs in Telford
- Corporate Management Team Solicitor £40,000 - £49,999 Full time jobs in Telford
- Legal Solicitor £40,000 - £49,999 Full time jobs in Telford
- Health and Social Care Solicitor £40,000 - £49,999 Full time jobs in Telford
- Children's Services Solicitor £40,000 - £49,999 Full time jobs in Telford