Permanent, Full Time
Up to £47,000 per annum
Closing Date: 7th July 2021
Essex Legal Services (ELS) is the in-house legal service of ECC, one of the largest local authorities in the country. Its innovative vision has led to ELS being at the forefront of developing shared legal services and sharing its expertise and experience with a wide range of public bodies.
Our Service has a wide ranging client base and is committed to increasing and expanding our range of services. We have been accredited to the Lexcel standard for over a decade and work continuously to improve not only the service that we offer to our clients but also the opportunities we offer to those who work for us.
You will be responsible for the delivery of all aspects of legal advice within your team, where you will be expected to build strong relationships with internal and external partners. This position will be fast-paced and it is therefore imperative you are confident in handling a full caseload consisting of, but not limited to, the following matters:
- General property advice
- Property Development
- Acquisition and sale of commercial property
- Conditional Contracts
- Overage Deeds
- Option and Promotion Agreements
- Commercial Leases
- Acquisition and sale of residential property
- Tenancy and Licence Agreements
- Planning issues
- Property related Joint Venture Agreements
- Auction Disposals
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Qualified solicitor or chartered legal executive or barrister with full valid practising certificate and 3 + years post qualification experience. We would expect a lawyer with the given PQE to have gained the level of experience required but this does not preclude applications from those with more or less PQE.
- Ability to establish credibility with directors, senior management and other key stakeholders;
- Ability to contribute effectively in a large complex organisation with plans for radical change and improvement;
- Within the Property team you will require knowledge and understanding of providing legal advice in a public sector setting: including but not limited to sales, purchases, easements and wayleaves, leases and licences.
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees. For more information please use the following link: https://www.workingforessex.com/working-here/pay-reward/
Apply and next steps
Please apply via the Working for Essex website, ensuring you upload an up to date CV and supporting statement when prompted.
*Remote / Home working
This position will initially, in line with current government guidance be based from home, with an expectation of being home based for the foreseeable future with office attendance as and when required and / or necessary. However, if / when government guidelines change the role may then revert to being office based, whilst retaining some flexible working options.
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.