Road Safety Assistant
Please note - this post is due to commence in September 2021, training will be provided before then. Interviews will be held virtually the w/c 2nd and 9th August 2021.
We are currently looking for a competent, passionate communicator who enjoys working with other people. You must be willing to travel throughout Essex. This is a very rewarding role delivering positive Road Safety skills to both children and their parents. You will be fully trained by a blended approach of on-line and practical face-to-face training, with continuous mentoring and support from managers and colleagues. You should be able to plan and organise your own diary and demonstrate reliability and efficient time keeping
This is one of a number of posts that will deliver the road safety programme for education in primary schools. The post holder will be required to work across the whole county, however, in order to keep travel to a minimum, the group of schools that you will be assigned will be as close to your home location as possible. You will report to the Lead Road Safety Officer who will allocate work and provide training and development as required. You will be able to communicate comfortably with both adults and children to support the road safety programme and your enthusiasm and self-motivation will equip you to work independently, liaising directly with schools.
To assist in the delivery of Road Safety education in the primary school setting to both pupils and parents.
- To teach pedestrian skills in accordance with health and safety requirements.
- To assist the Road Safety team in maintaining a relationship with schools.
- Work with adults and children in a formal setting.
- Liaise with managers and school staff, ensuring you keep to dates and times booked with the school.
- Maintain accurate records including risk assessments, timesheets, etc.
- Ensure you demonstrate reliability, professionalism and efficient time keeping.
- Ensure all training is carried out in accordance with risk assessments and task briefing.
- Ensure all training is carried out in accordance with Health and Safety requirements.
- Undertake risk assessments for all activities as required.
- Any other duties and responsibilities appropriate with the post.
- It may be necessary for the post holder to be trained in, and use, new technology as it is introduced into the County Council activities.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Excellent Communication skills
- Experience of working with people
- A good standard of literacy and numeracy
- Confident using IT and have access to Word and Excel
- Ability to work with a minimum of supervision
- To be mobile throughout an operational area and therefore a valid driving licence and use of a car is required.
- The role requires you to be mobile throughout a wider operational area including travelling around the county of Essex. Driving licence and car or the ability to meet the mobility requirements of the role through other means is essential.
- Use of a mobile phone is required.
Please note that Essex County Council has determined that the off-payroll working rules will apply to this assignment and where a worker elects to provide their services through an intermediary (such as a personal services company) then income tax and primary national insurance contributions will be deducted at source from any payments made to the intermediary.
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
As part of employment with Essex County Council (ECC) should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please go to https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service .
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.
If you have any queries regarding this role, or require anything further, please contact the Candidate Care Team on: 0333 013 5888