Senior Strategy and Policy Advisors
Senior Strategy and Policy Advisors
Permanent, Full Time
£38,815 to £45,665 per annum
Essex County Council (ECC) is one of the largest and most dynamic local authorities in the UK, serving a population of 1.5 million residents in the historic and beautiful county of Essex. ECC has an ambitious agenda for our place reflected in the twenty-year Vision for Essex and in the themes our new administration have set out of renewal, equality and ambition. We are developing a new Organisation Strategy based around four strategic priorities of the economy; the environment; health and wellbeing; and children, families and young people. We have a strong track record of transforming public services to deliver better and more cost-effective outcomes. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining a high-quality workforce and we are immensely proud of our flexible working options.
These roles will work in the Policy Unit in Essex County Council. The Policy Unit has the following remit within the Council:
We are currently looking to hire multiple people to the team under the same job title. The roles we are recruiting for will cover all of the above activity and we can allocate people to roles and projects to suit best fit. There is also a further maternity cover, 12 months fixed term post available, please note there is a seperate advert for the fixed term role. The maternity cover role will be working specifically on thematic policy development in the children, families and education area.
PLEASE NOTE: The primary working location is Chelmsford. However, currently we run hybrid working, partly office based and partly remote working
You will have a background in policy or strategy and an interest in at least some of the policy issues facing a county council. You will be able to develop effective strategies that are evidence based and that translate into effective delivery across the organisation. You will be comfortable working in a politically led organisation and able to engage effectively with politicians and senior officers. You will be a team player able to build relationships across the organisation and externally. You will be motivated, proactive and able to deliver high quality work at pace.
Cabinet Office roles supporting our Cabinet Members are focused on:
- Providing policy advice to Cabinet Members as required
- Helping Cabinet Members run their portfolios by managing portfolio boards and the flow of decisions through the governance process
- Helping Cabinet Members play their strategic leadership role in running the Council
- Assisting in the management of key stakeholder relationships
Policy development roles are focused on a mix of:
- Developing thematic strategies and policies working closely with our functional areas
- Developing strategic policy thinking on cross-cutting issues like levelling
- Exploring future trends and scenarios and their impact on the Council and on Essex
- Working with colleagues across the organisation on strategic planning and delivery, ensuring that we align ways of working and resources to support delivery of our priorities
- Supporting our main internal governance boards to support effective discussion and decision making on strategic issues
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Experience of policy or strategy development and interest in some relevant policy issues.
- Strong written and oral communication skills with an ability to present complex material clearly and concisely.
- Strong organisational skills to ensure effective management of business and of high-level boards
- Potential to develop high influencing and negotiating skills and the capacity to build effective relationships with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Strong inter-personal skills and the ability to effectively liaise with politicians and other senior leaders with the ability to influence relevant outcomes.
- Ability to deliver high quality outcomes at pace.
- Ability to connect strategy development with delivery in a way that is operationally literate.
Desirable but not essential:
- Knowledge of local government
- Knowledge and experience in relevant core policy areas such as economic development, environment, health and wellbeing, children's, families and education.
Please note that this is a politically restricted role.
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees. For more information please use the following link: https://www.workingforessex.com/working-here/pay-reward/