Analyst - Data & Analytics (fixed term contract)
Analyst - Data & Analytics (fixed term contract)
Fixed Term, 12 months
Up to £36,393 per annum
Closing Date: 25th July 2021
* This position will initially, in line with current government guidance be based from home, with an expectation of being home based for the foreseeable future. However, if / when government guidelines change the role may then revert to being office based, whilst retaining some flexible working options.
Our Data & Analytics service is evolving, and we want you to be a part of it. We are seeking skilled analysts with the desire to continue their development in a range of data science skills to join our service and help use data to drive Essex forward.
We want people who are passionate about how we can use the information of the past to predict the future and make tangible, real world change in our communities. We believe that unlocking the power of data can help us better understand our county and improving the lives of residents. So, if you want to be a part of an exciting network of data scientists, analysts, developers, designers and more, then this is the job for you!
As an analyst in our service, you will have the opportunity to work across a range of subjects, including Adult & Children's Social Care, Deprivation, Disadvantage & Social Inequality, Education Services and Economic Growth. You will also have the chance to be involved in our exciting partnership ventures, such as the Open Data Programme, and the Essex Centre for Data Analytics (ecda).
Using your analytical expertise, you will help us to answer questions like:
- Which infrastructure projects will give us the largest return on investments?
- Can we predict future demand against our service areas?
- Which communities are at most risk of deprivation in the future?
- How can we better support people to ensure children are ready for school at age 4?
- Where are businesses most in need of support in Essex?
We are a sociable bunch, so if want to you can always find someone in the team to grab a coffee with during the day, or something stronger after hours!
We work flexibly and trust our colleagues to work from home and to hours that suit them, alongside business need.
The Analyst role within Data & Analytics will include a number of different elements.
We value the technical ability of our analysts, including statistical knowledge, the ability to pick up and work with new systems and technology, coding skills, and more.
We need analysts who are skilled at understanding customer needs and identifying analytical opportunities for the service, moving away from simple data requests and toward a culture where we tackle problems with analytics.
We want to see analysts who can unpick the key stories from data, ensuring that the right messages are communicated to our customers, enabling the right decisions to be made.
We give our analysts the opportunity to work with and learn from a range of skilled experts, such as our Data Science Fellow, Senior Analytics Designer, and Data Developers, alongside a team of experienced and skilled Analysts.
We base our key accountabilities around a range of values that we care about as a service - Innovation, Collaboration, Influencing, Impact and Accountability.
As an analyst you will:
- Proactively find new areas of opportunity for the team to operate within, by scoping and delivering new analytical projects and applying new techniques
- Deliver analytical and data science projects working in multi-disciplinary teams and business areas
- Work with people outside of your immediate team to turn evidence into insight and recommendations to the wider business
- Use your analytical expertise and people skills to help others ask the right questions and make the best decisions for Essex
- Produce insight in a clear and compelling way that delivers impact in Essex and actively seek feedback and learning from your work
- Take accountability for your workload, ensuring you deliver high quality work in a timely manner and keep others informed.
- Have 10% of your time protected to focus on your own learning and development, in an area that you have identified as important to you
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Educated to degree level or equivalent by experience
- Evidence of continuing professional development and knowledge in relevant professional area
- Understanding of local government and the goals of Essex County Council
- Practical experience and knowledge of a range of analytical tools, for example RStudio, Microsoft PowerBI, Microsoft Excel, SQL Server, and others.
- Knowledge and understanding of the practical implementation of the Data Protection Act, in relation to handling data for analytical and research purposes.
- Experience of presenting data and analysis in a creative was, utilising a range of data visualisation techniques to communicate complex messages simply to a range of audiences.
Excellent collaboration and communication skills and experience of working as part of multi-disciplinary teams and in a matrix environment.
- A self-starter with the ability to manage and prioritise own workload in a busy environment.
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.