The above post exists within the Vale of Glamorgan Council’s Neighbourhood Services and Transport Departments Engineering Group and sits within the Design and Construction Section.
The Design and Construction Section provides the design and delivery of major and minor highway infrastructure and civil engineering schemes throughout the Vale of Glamorgan.
The Design and Construction Section delivers services on a competitive basis in an effective, efficient and professional manner. The Section consists of individuals qualified and experienced in highway infrastructure design, contract administration / management, procurement, project management, site supervision, winter service management, car park management and sign design / fabrication.
The works undertaken by the Section are funded by the Council’s Capital budget, Welsh Government or Section 106 income and takes schemes through from initial inception through to construction on site. Undertaking all design work, bills of quantities, contract documentation, contract management, project management, supervision and Principle Designer role in accordance with Construction (Design & Management) Regulations 2015.
The objective of the Section is to ensure we deliver a wide variety of schemes, providing best value to meet the aspirations of our Clients, delivering a professional service and scheme within budget and programme, while meeting our annual fee recovery targets.
About the role
Pay Details: Grade 7, SCP 20 - 25 £25,991 - £29,577 p.a.
Hours of Work / Working Pattern: 37 hours (Flexi-time)
Main Place of Work: Alps Depot - Wenvoe
To assist the Construction & Development Team in the delivery of a comprehensive range of professional and technical services in relation to estimating / finance, design and project management.
You will need:
- Experience of preparing estimates and bids for construction works.
- Experience successfully managing budgets and controlling works costs.
- Experience of Highway Design and proficient in the use of AutoCAD.
- Able to prepare technical and other reports.
- Knowledge of engineering practices, Legislation, Codes of Practice and Regulations relevant to the appointment.
- Understanding of tendering, procurement and bidding process.
- Knowledge of relevant design standards.
- Knowledge of engineering contracts.
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently in a busy environment.
- Able to work on own initiative and as part of a team.
- Degree in related subject or equivalent relevant experience in Construction and Design.
- Well motivated and able to work in a team.
- Flexible and positive approach to work.
- Able to devise and prioritise own workload.
- Ability to drive/travel throughout the Vale or between locations as appropriate.
DBS Check Required: No
For Further Information, contact: Craig Howell – Design & Construction Manager – firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please see attached job description / person specification for further information.