Cafe Assistant / Canteen Assistant
Cafe Assistant / Canteen Assistant
Permanent, Part Time
Up to £17,850 per annum
Closing Date: 01/08/2021
Part Time - 25 hours per week
This role will be based at Bishops Hill Centre in Brentwood.
The Canteen Assistant will deliver high quality customer service, providing drinks, confectionery and light snacks to users of the ACL refreshment areas. Possessing a food handling or hygiene qualification at level 1 or above and experience of working within a customer focussed catering environment. The role requires good communication skills and knowledge and understanding of health and safety procedures.
Adult Community Learning (ACL) is ECC's provider of lifelong learning experiences for Essex residents. ACL offers qualifications to help people move nearer to, enter or progress within the workplace or gain skills to enhance life chances. The service focuses many of its programmes and activities on the hardest to reach communities within Essex. ACL learners have access to a diverse range of accredited and non-accredited courses which encourage creativity, healthy lifestyles, social inclusion and engagement.
Term Time 39 weeks - Mon to Thurs with flexibility. 8am to 2:30pm.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Provide drinks and sell confectionery and light snacks to staff and visitors to ACL.
- Responsible for handling and recording cash to ensure all receipts are managed in line with Essex County Council procedures.
- Responsible for keeping equipment and surfaces in a clean condition to comply with Health & Safety requirements and maintaining a healthy and safe working environment.
- Promote and deliver high standards of customer care, adhering to quality assurance systems in accordance with local procedures.
- Specific individual and shared targets and objectives are defined annually within the performance management framework.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Possesses a Level 1 food handling/hygiene qualification with experience of working within a catering environment.
- Experience of working with the public in a customer orientated service.
- Experience of handling and recording cash.
- Good verbal communication skills with a customer focussed approach.
- Basic IT skills.
- Good cleaning skills.
- An understanding of COSHH.
- An understanding of food allergies and cross contamination.
- Previous restaurant experience is preferable.
As part of employment with Essex County Council should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please visit: https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees. For more information please use the following link: https://www.workingforessex.com/working-here/pay-reward/
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.
If you have queries on this role or require anything further, please email or call us on 0333 013 5888. Lines are open Monday to Friday between 08:30 - 16:30.