Stoke-on-Trent is on a journey with a rapidly growing economy creating new jobs, delivering regeneration and housing growth. It is a city with a strong sense of civic pride and absolute commitment to delivering the best outcomes for our residents.
In our Stronger Together Strategic Plan 2020-2024, we set out our strategic vision and priorities for Stoke-on-Trent City Council and the wider city. Stronger Together has been shaped by the political ambition of the City Council’s leadership, as well as the values and aims of the organisation.
Through our Stronger Together vision we will:
- Support vulnerable people in our communities to live their lives well
- Enable our residents to fulfil their potential
- Help businesses to thrive and make our city more prosperous
- Work with our communities to make them healthier, safer and more sustainable
- Ensure we are an innovative and commercial council, providing effective leadership to help transform outcomes.
You can read more about our Stronger Together Strategic Plan here.
In order to help deliver our key strategic priorities, an exciting opportunity has arisen for a Housing, Assistance and Adaptions Surveyor to join our Private Sector Housing Team.
The role is rewarding and unique, delivering tangible, essential life-enhancing solutions to the most vulnerable residents of our city and allowing them to live as safe and independently as possible.
We’re looking for a technical professional passionate about delivering an excellent service that will benefit our vulnerable adult and children population. You will be able to think practically, logically, whilst also being creative, when working with internal colleagues, contractors and residents. The ability to work autonomously, possessing excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to dissect and interpret all relevant legislation and apply to the task at hand.
In return for the right skillset, you will join a committed, hard-working team in a challenging and rewarding role, offering a sense of achievement in helping to deliver a service for the residents of Stoke-on-Trent.
- To provide an efficient and effective technical and cost assessment service for disabled facilities grants, disabled adaptations to council properties and other financial packages, as detailed in relevant polices, such as the Housing Renewal Assistance Policy and the Major Adaptations Policy.
- To assist in the delivery of the housing grants, adaptations and loans service and the Council’s Agency Service by undertaking property surveys, specification of works, cost assessment and site inspection, including tender and contract documentation.
- To ensure that specifications of work are in accordance with Building Regulations and other appropriate legislation and that all work is completed to a satisfactory standard.
- To prepare detailed scaled technical drawings showing existing and proposed layouts and specifications/schedules of necessary works to meet the City Council and individual needs, particularly in relation to disabled adaptations.
- To assist and ensure that necessary permissions have been obtained such as Building Regulations, Planning, Severn Trent Water Authority and ensure that requirements in relation to planning supervision, asbestos regulation and other health and safety matters are discharged on behalf of the City Council in respect of the works undertaken.
- To be fully aware of and conversant with all relevant legislation, procedures and City Council Policies, with regard to housing grants, adaptations and loans.
- To keep up to date with professional, technical and legislative developments in housing construction and management, Building Regulations and Planning administration and other relevant areas, and to relate this to other technical staff in the team.
- To be responsible for the guidance, advice and training of other staff with particular regard to technical aspects of the service. Participate in all aspects of training and personal development, using all learning opportunities to develop personal skills necessary to improve effectiveness, efficiency and delivery of service in line with corporate, departmental and divisional Business Plan and service priorities.
- To keep up to date with any modernisation, improvement and on-going maintenance schemes within the city.
- Show a knowledge of all legislation relating to Disabled Facilities Grants and other private sector renewal grants and loans.
- Awareness of the requirements of disabled persons in relation to building adaptations and grant/loan associated projects.
- Must have a relevant qualification to at least HND level.
- Recent experience in the building construction industry, particularly in relation to the renovation of dwellings and the provision of adaptations for people with disabilities in private and social housing.
- Recent and relevant experience of inspection of works to ensure that accepted standards and quality levels are adhered to.
- Previous experience of preparing cost estimates/schedules of work and contract documents.
- Recent and relevant experience of property surveying and preparation of technical drawings, including use of computer aided design programmes such as Autocad, Microsoft Visio.
- Deliver all aspects of the technical function of the team.
- Good computer skills with the ability to use Microsoft products such as Access, Word and Excel programmes and Computer Aided Design Programmes.
- Ability to effectively case manage, prioritise workloads, programme works and ensuring that such programmes are complied with.
- Maintaining work related records – manual or computerised.
- Maintain the security and confidentiality of all information with regards to all projects and clients.
- Must hold a full and current driving licence.
Closing date: 15 August 2021.
For more information and to apply for the role, please click the apply button above.