Complaints Manager - Regulatory Compliance Lead
Permanent, Full Time
£32,900 to £36,501 per annum
Closing Date: 06/08/2021
This position will, in line with current government guidance be based from home, with an expectation of being home based for the foreseeable future. However, if / when government guidelines change the role may then revert to being office based, whilst retaining some flexible working options in line with Essex County Council mobile flexible working policy.
In the role of Complaints Manager / Regulatory Compliance Lead you will be responsible for managing a small team of Complaints Officers to review and consider customer complaints, providing formal written responses ensuring that they are compliant with the relevant policies and identifying learning opportunities.
The role covers complaints for all county council services, including social care, highways, libraries, coroners, school admissions, school transport and special education needs, providing variety in your work and a job where no two days are ever the same.
You will work closely with all business areas to share complaint outcomes and ensure learning is embedded across the organisation. In addition, you will act as an escalation point to help resolve complex cases and be responsible for responding to requests from the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman.
The successful applicant will possess the relevant people and complaints management experience to deliver a first class customer-orientated dispute resolution service. One which provides the customer with a suitable solution and a satisfying experience, by contributing and supporting the delivery of an efficient complaints service.
You will be expected to contribute to identifying continuous service improvement initiatives, develop business intelligence to identify changes, solutions and improvements in both the complaints process and customer insight.
Please take a moment to review our information about the different complaints policies that we follow www.essex.gov.uk/complaints
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Manage a team to ensure ECC remains compliant in relation to complaint management delivering high standard of responses to escalated executive enquiries and corporate complaints.
- Responsible for researching and responding to complex complaints, and checking the quality of the correspondence the team produces before they are issued directly to customers or sent for CEO/Senior Leader approval
- Responsible for conducting independent in depth case and complaint reviews in line with corporate and statutory processes. Identify learning opportunities to improve the customer experience, processes and reduce handoffs.
- Responsibility for preparing advice for Members and Senior Leaders on issues relating to statutory processes and policies, case outcomes, implications and risks.
- Act as the Authority's lead officer to manage those customers who have been designated to have a single point of contact, ensuring that these customers are managed in line with the process to minimize impact on wider organisation
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Educated to degree level standard including in English and Maths at Grade 'C' or above or equivalent by experience.
- Demonstrate relevant people and complaints management experience
- Evidence of continuing professional development and detailed knowledge in a political or regulated environment and Local Government experience is highly desirable.
- Experience of working within a customer resolution environment, particularly with statutory adult and social care complaints and the coordination of Ombudsman investigations.
- A good understanding of the principles of safeguarding, consent to share information and GDPR.
- Excellent ICT skills and good working knowledge of Microsoft applications (Word and Excel) is essential. Knowledge of customer relationship management systems (such as Aptean Respond/Microsoft Dynamics) is highly desirable).