The Role Join us and you will be part of a team that is forward thinking, dynamic and ambitious in providing great Customer Service to our local residents.
Customer Service Advisors required for Richmond and Wandsworth Council within the corporate contact centre and receptions.
The contact centre are the primary contact for resolving inbound enquiries for a wide range of services ranging from council tax & housing benefits to environmental services such as household waste, Council tax to parking permits. The receptions for both local authorities are based in the main civic offices and support first contact resolution for similar enquires as the contact centre.
The customer service team is dynamic with its approach and we are looking for individuals who can problem solve and provide excellent customer service. The team aims to ensure the council is providing the most effective services for the boroughs of Wandsworth and Richmond and we are looking for individuals who would like to make an impact on our residents, local community, and businesses.
The working environment in the contact centre with inbound queries from calls and emails. We are a supportive team and offer a full induction process so that you are given the training required to deal with queries from different directorates. Due to the varied nature of the work there will be an element of on the job learning where you will be supported by senior colleagues and the team manager.
Previous Local authority experience not essential, but experience with handling Council tax, Parking and Housing Benefit enquiries can be beneficial if possible.
However key to the role for any successful candidates will be
- Experience of working in a customer service environment
- Excellent communication skills
- Being able to multi-skill across multiple different services
- Ability to demonstrate a flexible and co-operative approach towards changing business needs.
The role of Customer Service Advisor includes:
- Ability to deal with a wide and diverse range of enquiries to a high standard of customer service covering all areas of the Council’s business.
- Delivering an excellent customer experience by providing advice and, wherever possible, resolution at the first point of contact. This includes all customer access channels including telephone, face to face, letter, email, web and SMS.
- Maintains an up to date knowledge of all services and systems used in the Customer Service receptions to assist customers and resolve their enquiries.
- To professionally deal with any frustrated, angry and abusive customers, providing a resolution to their enquiry and avoiding potential complaints.
- To maintain accurate records and information relating to the provision of customer services
- To actively encourage customers to use the most efficient method to gain access to and information about council services.
- To ensure that the services for both Councils are dealt with on an equitable basis to deliver the standards required for each, as agreed annually by the Executives
Experience required is:
- Working in a customer service environment, excellent communication skills and an ability to demonstrate a flexible and co-operative approach towards changing business needs.
- Experience or ability to work towards targets and KPIS.
- Working in a high-pressure environment where consistently high standards of service delivery are required.
- Ability to problem solve and deliver the best results in a customer focused approach.
We offer and welcome both full time and part time working hours. Full time 36 hours per week Monday-Friday 8:50-5:00.
Part-time applicants welcomed (minimum 20 hours per week). The working day can be a full day or part day (minimum of 4 hours per day). Monday working for part-time staff is always required. Hours will set but agreed in line with business need.
Majority of vacant posts are in the Contact centre and you will be required to work in the office
The contact centres for both councils are is located at the Civic Centre in Twickenham.
We recognise the importance of a good balance between work and home life so we do everything we can to accommodate flexible working. Please just let us know in your application or at any stage throughout the process (and beyond) if these are options you’d like to explore. We also offer a generous holiday allowance of 39 paid days (pro rata) including bank holidays and a wide range of learning and development opportunities.
In addition, we offer a comprehensive range of staff benefits such as membership of the Local Government pension scheme, childcare vouchers, new technology scheme, interest-free loans on annual travel cards, discounts with many leisure activities, restaurants, shops and other establishments.
Indicative Recruitment Timeline
End of December 2021
Applications will be shortlisted regular, minimal every 2-3 weeks and interview will be arranged within 1 week of being successful at the shortlisting stage.
Interviews will be arranged with those that pass shortlisting monthly during this 6-month timeline until all vacant posts are filled.
The closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. We strongly advise you to complete your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note that the advertised dates for interviews may change due to the current Covid-19 situation. If they do, we will let you know as soon as possible.
Your health and wellbeing is our top priority. Should you become unwell due to Covid-19 during the recruitment process we would very much appreciate receiving an update from you as soon as possible.
We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community who are currently underrepresented within our teams.
Richmond and Wandsworth Councils are committed to making our recruitment practices as inclusive as possible for everyone. We are committed to promoting equality and diversity and developing a culture that values differences, recognising that employees from a variety of backgrounds bring important and positive contributions to the Councils and can improve the way we deliver services.
The application process for this campaign will be anonymous.
We are proud to be a Disability Confident employer.
Richmond and Wandsworth Councils are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people/vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Richmond and Wandsworth Councils