Please note that this position is being offered on a 12 month Fixed Term Contract basis with interviews being conducted on a virtual basis.
This position will initially, in line with current government guidance be based from home, with an expectation of being home based for the foreseeable future, however if / when government guidelines change the role may then revert to being office based, with Chelmsford as the expected location, whilst retaining some flexible working options.
This role is responsible for delivering high quality financial advice within a service area, proactive in providing comprehensive support and innovative advice to all levels of management and Members across the finance elements, including budget setting, budget planning and project support.
Proficient analytical skills will be key to interpreting financial results for the business whilst influencing more robust decision making by evidencing greater awareness and understanding the impact of decisions on costs and risks.
An experienced financial expert, building strong relationships with internal and external partners will maximise the opportunity to influence stakeholders and partners and contribute fully as a member of management forums. Work collaboratively in supporting delivery of efficiency improvements and cost reduction plans across the Council providing high quality advice and direction on financial strategies, policy, standards and practices to achieve strategic objectives
- Responsible for supporting the business by understanding all the financial assets, liabilities and priorities for a business operation (revenue, capital, funding streams & debt) & present options to senior managers to drive change and improve efficiency to meet strategic objectives.
- Responsible for partnering and supporting Service Directors and stakeholders to carry out financial performance management, pricing and investment analysis. In addition, support the business planning process by advising senior managers and supporting the maximisation of external funding to the Council.
- Accountable for supporting business development by using insightful predictive analytics, optimising financial modelling and commercial acumen.
- Support cross organisational projects and ensure the best commercial & value considerations to drive transparent and robust decision making. This support will involve detailed analysis and interpretation in communicating financial and performance data to support evidence-based decisions.
- Work collaboratively with Senior Finance Business Partners and Management Accountants in the development and review of financial policy and plans ensuring they reflect the Council's strategic objectives and promote continuous improvement
- Responsible for promoting delivery of value for money services, as evidenced by benchmarked cost driver comparators to analyse financial trends and drive efficiencies. Develop networks with best in class peers.
- Support timely preparation of robust business cases & decision making documents by quantifying associated costs, benefits, risks and funding solutions, being solely accountable for the financial implications
- Responsible for compliance with financial regulations and professional accounting standards and financial impact assessments relating to changes in legislation or service initiatives
Indirect impact - up to £500 million
Accountable for reporting accuracy and strategic planning
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Full CCAB / CIMA qualification with evidence of continuing professional development.
- Experience in application of financial management and financial frameworks - preferably public sector, through a full financial cycle.
- Excellent communication skills to influence a wide range of stakeholders and aware of the political environment in which this role operates
- Evidence of identifying improvements in financial systems and processes with a strong delivery and performance focus
- Experience of supporting the evaluation of innovative and effective means of financing the delivery of services. Evidence of providing financial advice to inform decision making
- Demonstrate experience of establishing credibility and contributing effectively with management teams and wider multi-disciplinary networks.
- Knowledge of International Financial Reporting Standards Demonstrate experience of working with senior managers, working
- Demonstrate experience of working with senior managers, working within and supporting multi-disciplinary teams to achieve service outcomes