We have an exciting opportunity available within Highway Services at Sandwell Council. We are seeking a highly motivated, skilled and experienced individual to work within the Development and Road Safety team. The main duties will include commenting on all highway aspects of planning applications, appraising transport assessments and statements, checking technical compliance, liaising with developers, residents, businesses and elected members, writing reports and producing briefing notes and design guidance as required.
This post will have a major influence on the direction of travel for The Highway Service, assisting in the delivery our Statutory Duties and responsibilities, using both in-house and external resources. This will help secure the safe and efficient movement of traffic and pedestrians within the Borough of Sandwell and improving the overall performance of The Authority’s highway network.
You will be assisting the Group Manager in the investigation of the consequences that new private developments will have on the public highway network and in formulating suitable measures to help mitigate against any potential impacts they may have.
This Engineer role is key to the organisation and you will also be taking responsibility for mentoring and motivating junior members of staff as well as managing other resources to deliver priorities and objectives, whilst instilling a culture of continuous improvement in the service.
We would love to hear from applicants who can demonstrate:
• Higher National Certificate (HNC) or Foundation Degree in Civil engineering or equivalent
• Excellent planning and prioritisation skills
• An analytical approach to problem solving and experience in considering the highway aspects planning applications
• Experience in appraising Transport Assessments and Statements
• Experience of communicating with developers, members of the public and other key stakeholders
• A drive for continuous improvement
• Knowledge of/ and/or ability to interpret relevant codes of practice, procedures and DfT circulars
• Ability to assess risk and hazards when working on the highway
• A willingness to work towards obtaining an appropriate management qualification
• Ability to work under pressure, organise your own workload and meet deadlines
• A full driving license
• Ability to work occasional weekends and evenings
This is an important role for Sandwell and if you are up for the challenge of improving our Highway Service, we would love to hear from you.
If you would like an informal discussion about the role, please ring Simon Chadwick on 07920 182461 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our Values, Trust, Unity and Progress make us unique, they define how we do things and are reflected in the way we behave. They are important to us, guiding and shaping our organisational culture. Our values are key to us achieving Sandwell's Vision 2030 and also guide us when we recruit.
37 hours per week
This advert will close as soon as sufficient applications are received. Therefore, you are strongly advised to complete and return your application as soon as possible. When completing your application please refer to the supporting documents attached.
If you have a disability and require assistance in making an application, or have experienced a problem whilst applying for a position, please contact the Resourcing Team on 0121 569 3300 or via e-mail to email@example.com.
Information for applicants