The Essex Pension Fund's £8.7bn investment portfolio covers the full range of listed/alternative, growth/income assets and has a strong record of exceeding performance benchmarks. The future investment strategy will reflect a maturing liability profile and LGPS asset pooling.
As a key role in the both the delivery and accounting of the Investment Strategy, the Investment Officer will implement asset transfers and mandate changes, monitor stock exposure and voting whilst being responsible for the delivery of the investment accounting throughout the year and at closure.
A qualified Accounting Technician (AAT) or part qualified accountant with experience of the public sector and investment markets, the post holder will have a track record of producing timely and accurate accounting information, including that used for year-end accounts along with deliverables and working papers to support dialogue with both internal and external auditors.
We are fully committed to investing time and effort into our staff to help them develop and succeed. As such the successful candidate will be expected to enrol on to an apprenticeship soon after joining. Using your existing qualifications and experience as a guide we will investigate, discuss, and agree the best apprenticeship for you.
- Contribute to implementation and delivery of the Investment Strategy, including successful on-boarding of new and changed investment mandates, requisite changes to custody and performance management systems, tax/sub custody registrations overseas, along with MiFID II requirements.
- Participate in engagement with investment advisers, pool operator, custodian and fund managers, and client feedback on services received, highlighting shortcomings and ensure the Fund's assets are appropriately serviced.
- Responsible for the maintenance and updating of the general ledger, for the Fund's investments, specifically on the production of monthly and quarterly mandate reconciliations.
- Accountable for the day to day monitoring of stock exposure within segregated mandates in line with Investment Strategy and voting policy in line with the Fund's Environmental, Social and Governance policy. Producing related management information for the Investment Steering Committee (ISC) and responsible for the day to day monitoring of the Funds investment performance against benchmark.
- Responsible for delivery of the investment accounting function and the year-end closure programme, in line with statutory deadlines and audit requirements.
- Maintain knowledge and understanding of the developments within Government's asset pooling agenda and its impact on LGPS Funds and the ACCESS pool.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Qualified Accounting Technician (AAT) or part qualified accountant with significant experience of the public sector and financial markets.
- Adherence to/completion of the investment and accounting related modules of the CIPFA knowledge and skills framework.
- Experience of custody systems, investment performance analytics along with the requirements of LGPS Funds under MiFID II to obtain "Elective Professional" status.
- An accounting track record of producing timely and accurate information, throughout the year and year-end accounts, along with deliverables and working papers to support dialogue with both internal and external auditors.