Build brighter futures as a senior bridge engineer
Join us as a senior bridge engineer for Capita RE Highways, a joint venture between Capita and London Borough of Barnet, where you'll play an important role shaping the future of our business. We're in the middle of a transformation, remobilising our services to bring in new systems and policies so we can delight both customers and local residents.
As the go-to technical lead for highways structures, you’ll deliver the Asset Management Programme, maintaining and improving the integrity of assets on time and within budget. As part of the Highways Asset Operations Team for Re Highways, you’ll enjoy a fast paced and challenging workload while you’re helping to improve the condition of the Barnet highways infrastructure for local residents.
We’ll support you to develop yourself and you’ll have access to our newly designed suite of enhanced training products, as well as other learning and development opportunities. We’re looking for the right person for this role, so we don’t mind where you’re located, as long as you’re able to travel into Barnet to attend on-site and client meetings when needed for various projects. Apply now and you’ll have a hugely positive impact on the Barnet community now and into the future.
What you’ll be doing:
- commissioning the asset management of the highways structures, including the Bridge Assessment Programme.
- identifying funding and resources to develop programmes of works that ensure the effective management of highways structures, bridges, subways and retaining walls.
- providing technical support and advice about highways structures to support the Council's statutory duties and corporate priorities.
- leading the delivery of highways engineering structural schemes and programmes, from inception through to final completion (including commissioning consultants and contractors).
- preparing estimates and supervising contracts to ensure compliance with contract specifications, financial regulations, standing orders and legislation.
- representing the Council's interests on various regional/national liaison and technical groups.
What we’re looking for:
- five years’ relevant experience in Civil/Highway Engineering, Building Services Engineering, Transportation or equivalent.
- a degree in Civil Engineering, Transportation or equivalent.
- excellent knowledge of structural engineering, asset management and associated IT systems and applications.
- good knowledge of engineering contracts, contract procedures and contract law for delivery of works, including Construction Design and Management Regulations (2017).
- experience in highways contract supervision, including preparation of contract bill of quantities, specifications and associated contract documents.
- general knowledge of highways and transport policies and associated legislation.
At Government Services, we’re transforming the way governments and local councils serve the public. We’re using technology, innovation and domain knowledge to improve services and deliver savings. Our teams are answering 30,000 emergency service calls every day and our Ultra Low Emissions Zone is helping Londoners breath cleaner air.
About Regional Enterprise Ltd
Regional Enterprise Ltd (Re) is the joint venture between the London Borough of Barnet and Capita. Together, we’re providing new ways to deliver services and meet the needs of the businesses and residents in our local community. Our projects include traffic and highways management, creating new sustainable travel options for local residents, regeneration and planning and development. Join us and discover better as you shape the lives of Barnet residents.
What’s in it for you?
- A competitive basic salary.
- Initial 23 days’ holiday with the opportunity to buy extra leave.
- Company matched pension, life assurance, a cycle2work scheme, 15 weeks’ fully paid maternity, adoption and shared parental leave, paternity pay of two weeks…and plenty more.
- Voluntary benefits designed to suit your lifestyle – from discounts on retail and socialising, to health & wellbeing, travel and technology.
- Flexible working options available – just ask.
You’ll get the chance to follow your chosen career path anywhere in Capita. You’ll be joining a network of 55,000 experienced, innovative and dedicated individuals across multiple disciplines and sectors. There are countless opportunities to learn new skills and develop in your career, and we’ll provide the support you need to do just that. Our purpose is to create a better outcome for you.
What we hope you’ll do next:
Choose ‘Apply now’ to fill out our short application, so that we can find out more about you.
We’re an equal opportunity employer, which means we’ll consider all suitably qualified applicants regardless of gender identity or expression, ethnic origin, nationality, religion or beliefs, age, sexual orientation, disability status or any other protected characteristic. We recruit and develop our people based on merit and their passion for creating better outcomes, and we’re committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.