The City of York council have an exciting opportunity to join the dedicated York Registration Team as a Ceremonies and Certificates Officer.
About the role;
Communicating directly with our customers, you will deal with civil ceremony arrangements from the initial enquiry to the delivery of the ceremony.
You will be part of a dependable team that also issue copy certificates of birth, death and marriage from registers dating back to 1837.
You will be providing a professional service by taking bookings and answering customer queries regarding subjects such as births and deaths by telephone, online and face to face.
You will be dealing with confidential personal information so a full awareness and understanding of the need for privacy is required.
Key skills and experience required;
- You will be a motivated team player with a friendly can-do attitude who can work well with others as well being able to work well on your own.
- Your proven excellent organisation skills and the ability to follow procedures correctly will be particularly important in this challenging and rewarding service.
- Working in this highly regulated environment good attention to detail is vital.
- Your ability to respond well to change and demonstrate excellent communication skills is extremely important in this ever changing environment.
- In this busy, face paced office your good administrative, and ICT skills are important.
- When dealing with customers who are in extremely sensitive situations, your commitment to high quality customer service and your excellent inter-personal and communication skills will be an asset.
- You'll be working as part of a team who are proud of their service, sharing ideas, adapting tasks and supporting colleagues when required in order to achieve the services’ goals and objectives. The role requires flexibility and compromise.
- We hold ceremonies at our York office and at other sites around the city including hotels and museums, so you will be able to speak confidently in highly public situations.
The Council is highly committed to investing in the talent and wellbeing of our staff and can offer a generous annual leave allowance, access to the Local Government Pension Scheme, comprehensive Health & Wellbeing initiatives and a reward package which recognises your contribution. We can offer flexible working practices, community engagement and volunteer activities and, as part of our commitment to you, promote continuous Learning & Development. In addition we also offer a growing range of discounts, rewards and savings.
As this role is public facing, applicants will need to demonstrate, at interview, their competency to converse and provide advice and guidance to members of the public, in spoken English to CEFR level C1: Can express him/herself fluently and spontaneously, almost effortlessly. Only a conceptually difficult subject can hinder a natural, smooth flow of language.
For further information or an informal discussion please contact Celebration Operations Manager Katharine Page 01904553505 / Katharine.Page@york.gov.uk
Registration Service Manager Amanda Sykes 01904552401 / Amanda.Sykes@york.gov.uk
Closing date: Thursday 7 October 2021 at 12 midnight
Interview date: Week commencing Monday 18 and Monday 25 October 2021