We are seeking an able and experienced manager to provide effective leadership to our Environmental Services business unit which includes: Refuse and Street Sweeping Direct Services Organisation, Environmental Health and Licensing, and Engineering.
Reporting directly to the Chief Executive and Elected Members, this role is responsible for the efficient and cost-effective management, development, operation, and delivery of the Council’s environmental services. As a Corporate Head of Service, you will lead and develop a customer–focused service that is responsive and flexible to our customer’s needs and is delivered to a high standard. This will include building and maintaining effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders, partners, and agencies. The successful candidate will also have significant knowledge and understanding of the legislative frameworks and government policy agendas in respect of this field of work.
In summary the role encompasses:
- Developing the strategic direction of Environmental Health/Licensing, Engineering and Direct Services Organisation (DSO) services
- Membership of the Strategic Leadership Team responsible for the management of the Authority
- Overall responsibility for service area resources; vehicles, budgets, staff, physical resources and IT systems
- Management of a high-quality environmental health and licensing service
- Responsibility for the DSO: facilities and security of the depot, plant and equipment, budgetary discipline, profitability of contracts and staff performance
- Oversight of the Council’s civil engineering function including flood defence aspects of land drainage within the Borough
- Making a significant contribution to the Council’s Climate Change Strategy
The successful candidate will possess:
- Qualifications within any of the following areas: environmental health or combined environmental health and safety, waste management/recycling, acoustic and noise
- Membership of CEIH or IEMA or equivalent
- Sound knowledge of waste management, air pollution and environmental issues
- Knowledge of ISO 14001
- High quality interpersonal skills, tact, diplomacy, and emotional intelligence
- Analytical and critical reasoning skills including the ability to develop and implement strategic solutions
- A commitment to delivering good customer service
- Political acumen
Interested? If so, to apply please click apply below.
For an informal conversation about the position, please contact Paul Turrell, Chief Executive, via firstname.lastname@example.org