The collection of waste and recycling has never been more prominent, and the Cleansing Department of Environmental Services is expanding its teams at both depots. It comes at an interesting time when new challenges in how waste is collected and how recycling is undertaken are on the horizon.
The successful candidate will report to the Area Manager who manages a team of Team Leaders and oversees the delivery and development of services, planning and determining the deployment of resources and key initiatives required to enable the delivery and improvement of Environmental Services for Kirklees Council.
Through the position you will be supported and then required to undertake day to day management, organisation and supervision of a group of frontline staff to ensure the effective deployment of resources, including tasking, liaison, and communication. Services will include street cleaning, refuse collection. Initially you will be organising activities either related to refuse and street cleaning; however, you will be supported to develop knowledge of the technical aspects for each activity to broaden the services responsive and flexible approach for service delivery.
You will be supported in the role to:
- Understand or show the need for, producing work plans, and performance management as well as supporting good industrial and employee relations.
- Be able to or be prepared to provide effective leadership and ensure that work undertaken is carried out in line with expected standards and in compliance with relevant procedures and legislation.
- Contribute to identifying and resolving operational problems to ensure the effective use of resources in the delivery of high-quality customer – focused services.
- Be able prepared to represent Environmental Services in a variety of forums liaising with partners, elected members, community representatives and customers to identify priorities, evaluate issues and to progress matters.
- Work with a network of contacts which are integral to the delivery of services, formulating and instigating actions, raising matters to the Area Manager where necessary.
- Be responsible for ensuring staff have suitable vehicles, tools, equipment and personal protective equipment (PPE).
- You will ensure all working practices are undertaken within the Council’s health and safety policies and guidelines, for example developing and implementing risk assessments across the whole service.
- Support and implement change to cleansing operations necessary to meet the future challenges and expectations for of waste collection ,recycling and street cleansing
- Contribute to the development, implementation and review of working practices and procedures. Including using IT and working with the back office to set
Success will be measured against your effectiveness, and that of the team that you supervise to deliver timely, high quality, cost effective services that meet service and corporate priorities.
17 October 2021, 11:55 PM
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of vulnerable adults and children and young people and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Job Profile.pdf – 234KB
Career Progression Criteria Team Leader.pdf – 168KB