A bit about us
We have a fantastic opening within our team for a Principal Travel Plan Officer. With central government's drive towards decarbonisation and the push towards more active travel opportunities we are looking for an enthusiastic forward-thinking and collaborative person to join our team to work with developers to secure effective travel plans which will change how we travel!
Our busy team provides a number of services across the Highways Development Management team, by providing highways advice on planning applications, auditing and approving technical designs for new estate road layouts as well as working with developers on their Travel Plans to embrace more sustainable modes of transport to help reduce the reliance on the private car and bring them in line with central governments drive towards sustainable travel. As a team we are passionate and committed to transforming our communities through high quality development which is safe and accessible whilst working to create desirable places for people to live and work as part of Somerset's ambitious growth plans. From small development sites though to major enterprise zones and extensions to our main towns including Taunton’s new garden communities. Somerset provides fantastic opportunities to become engaged in some of the most ambitious growth projects in the Country.
Here's what you can expect to be doing
You would act on behalf of the Highway Authority to lead the Councils travel plan activity in relation to new development areas (ranging from large urban extensions to numerous medium sized housing developments and commercial developments). Provide policy and guidance for planning authorities and developers as well as delivering the wider sustainable travel agenda set out by central government, engage in the planning system from the development of local plans through to implementation and monitoring of individual applications, and determine the extent of the Councils direct delivery of travel planning activity on behalf of developers based on secured funding contributions. Guide and supervise the development of staff within your team. The range of opportunities is both challenging and rewarding. Somerset provides the opportunity to get involved in some of the UK’s most high-profile growth initiatives including, new garden communities, housing infrastructure fund, enterprise zones, and national infrastructure projects such as Hinkley Point C.
Day to day activity will involve leading and growing a team which:
- Provides advice and guidance to colleagues, managers as well as to developers on a wide range of travel plan issues during both pre-application consultation and the planning process.
- Negotiates and secures travel plan obligations and contributions through legal agreements.
- Delivers travel plan activity on the ground, on behalf of developers.
Your role will be to lead the team and:
- Undertake more complex investigations into major planning/political/technical issues.
- Lead on development work on travel plan policy to keep the authority’s travel plan policy up to date and in line with central government decarbonisation and active travel agendas.
- Provide advice to senior managers on undertaking travel planning activity on behalf of developers.
- Ensure appropriate systems are in place to provide effective monitoring and enforcement of travel plan requirements.
- Provide and deliver presentations to support planning committees, appeals and member training.
- Contribute to development, delivery and evaluation of the Groups works and service improvement plan.
We recognise the importance of a good balance between work and home life so we do everything we can to accommodate flexible working including working from home, with agreement from the manager.
A few things about you
You will have:
- An education to degree level or equivalent through relevant professional development.
- Experience of working within the planning system preferably with extensive experience of working with travel plans.
- Ability to monitor performance against deadlines and milestones.
- Ability to motivate and empower others.
- Ability to prepare observations and communicate them clearly and unambiguously in writing and verbally to a range of audiences.
- Ability to assess the implications of proposals and work with people to develop appropriate solutions (for example agree travel plan documentation and targets with developers).
- Ability to assimilate information from technical reports.
- Ability to read and understand policies, procedures, and guidance.
If you would like to find out more about before applying, please get in touch with Jon Fellingham on 01823 356298 or email email@example.com