We are looking for Highways Operatives to work as part of our operations teams here at Kirklees Council. If you are a road worker, labourer, ground worker, utilities operative, work in a construction related area or have a CSCS card (although this is not required for the job) then you may be interested in this role.
Kirklees is attracting a significant level of investment into the district which is funding major highway infrastructure improvements.
We are looking for Highways Operatives who have experience in a range of the following:
- Experience of operating basic tools, equipment, machinery and plant.
- Demonstrate you have assisted in a range of highway construction tasks such as kerbing, flagging, tarmacing.
- Knowledge of health and safety and risk issues in the workplace.
- Ability to assist in the identification of resources required for work (e.g. plant, labour and materials for different types of work).
- Ability to undertake checks (e.g. water, fuel and oil in roller, oil and filter on masonry saw etc.) and how this has been done in accordance with relevant policy, procedures and legislation.
- Ability to work on own initiative, with minimal supervision in addition to good team working skills.
- Previous relevant experience or an NVQ 2 in highway maintenance or a construction related discipline, certificate for working in the vicinity of electrical equipment including G39 and safe isolation or a NRASWA Operative or Supervisor qualification.
- Basic IT knowledge and skills.
We are looking for 3 operatives who will be based at either our Headlands Depot at Liversedge (WF15 7NT) or Reins Depot at Honley (HD9 6LN) (please indicate on the attached form which depot you would prefer)
You will be expected to take part in training and development. If this includes Large Goods Vehicle and Driver Certificate of Professional Competence training, then you will be required to take part in Winter Maintenance duties outside normal working hours.
Following a conditional offer of employment, you will be required to undertake a standard medical screening and other medical screening as determined by the Occupational Health Unit, appropriate to occupational risk and throughout your employment you will also take part in regular health surveillance.
Applications will be shortlisted regularly before the closing date.
31 December 2021, 11:55 PM
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of vulnerable adults and children and young people and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Highways Operative JD.pdf – 215KB
Highways Operative - Career Grade amended June 18.pdf – 158KB