The core focus of this role is to develop and manage the planning, statutory procedures, design, procurement and implementation of the programme of major capital schemes, other key projects and the bridges and structures assets.
You will be responsible for:
- Managing and monitoring the performance of consultants in the delivery of the programme of major capital schemes and all aspects of budgetary control and reporting;
- Strategic management of bridges and other highway structures;
- Manage the delivery of the County Council’s Major Highway Schemes capital programme, including design, preparation of contract documents, procurement through relevant procedures, supervision of construction and financial control;
- Process land acquisition and access requirements related to schemes;
- Management of the submission of the Councils case through public inquiries including presentation of proof of evidence as expert witness;
- Authorise Works Orders and commissions;
- Manage the commissioning of work with consultants and statutory bodies;
- Supporting the Assistant Director through contributing to the service plan and as part of the Highways and Transportation Management Team through providing direction on the production, delivery, monitoring and review of the plan.
This role will be pivotal to the effective delivery of our Highways and Transportation service, therefore requires an experienced leader who can confidently drive service delivery to achieve maximum results. You will have experience of major highway schemes or projects, processes in statutory orders, and have public inquiry experiences with the proven ability to communicate effectively and influence, negotiate and challenge where necessary, in order to ensure an efficient and effective service. You have exceptional organisational skills, and are able to meet deadlines and manage your own workload effectively within agreed parameters.
You will ideally hold a Chartered membership of an Engineering, Highways, or Transportation institution, however, we see this role as a great opportunity for someone looking for their next challenge within Highways with the commitment to achieve Chartered Engineer status within the first two years of employment.
What’s in it for you?
We want you to work to live not live to work, we want you to enjoy the things in life that really matter to you and this is important to us. We are a large successful, Highways service that can offer career development opportunities as well as job security. You can also expect to receive ongoing support throughout your role and access to our Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE) approved training scheme. We have a track record of delivery and a significant major scheme programme which includes our scheme to divert the A59 at Kex Gill at a cost of approximately £60m.
We can offer you a range of employee benefits including a competitive salary, generous leave entitlement, flexible working hours, a government pension scheme and access to our ‘Everybody Benefits’ package which includes a variety of retail discounts.
As a council, we benefit from access to modern technology which has enabled us to work from home pre, during and post the Covid-19 pandemic. These opportunities are no exception and successful candidates will be fully enabled to; work from home, their office base with the opportunity to work across the region and beyond.
Sector knowledge is not required, we welcome applicants who have experience in Highways and Major Projects Consultancy, Senior Designers or Contractors.
Apply and Contact
For more information about the role, view the Job Description and apply please click on the Apply Button below
Closing date: Sunday 7th November
Interview date: Week commencing 15th November
This is a politically restricted post.
We do not accept applications from agencies