Role: Senior Service Designer
Hours: 35 hours / week
Salary: £49,827 - £56,141 (The base salary for this role is up to £48,819, any offer made above this will be made up with a market supplement allowance)
Closing date: 28th November
Location: We're based in the heart of Woolwich, which is a great place to both live and work. Woolwich benefits from excellent transport links; buses, tubes, trains (just 21 minutes from central London and 10 minutes from The O2) and ferries, and soon to be Crossrail expansion. During the current COVID-19 response you will be working mainly at home; when the pandemic has abated, you'll have a mixture of home and office-based working.
Who are we looking for?
Our new Digital and Customer Service team are expanding and we are on the lookout for an empathetic, kind and curious person who has already started their career in service design. You will be one of six other service designers.
It's an exciting time to join our team, as we've recently published our first ever digital strategy and want you to be a part of making our strategy a reality. You will help us on our mission to make the Royal Borough of Greenwich a truly digital council and borough over the next four years and beyond.
As a Senior Service Designer, you'll be welcomed into a thriving, exciting in-house product team, alongside other service designers, user researcher, content designers, business analysts and product managers. It's essential you're open-minded, great at working in a team, have experience in designing services that are fast, accessible, joint-up and simple to use. Most importantly you are up for the challenge to make public service more outcome-focused and growing a new practice. We are a new team, so there's plenty of scope for having your say!
What your role will involve:
You'll be part of our brand-new in-house product function as part of the Digital and Customer service team. You'll report to the Head of Product.
As a Senior Service Designer, you'll take a key role in the service design community across Royal Borough of Greenwich, setting standards and leading service design of new, complex products and services. You'll directly lead on our most complex, risky and interdependent priority areas, working as part of the multidisciplinary team and partner with service areas, acting as the bridge between transformational goals and the practicalities of product delivery.
As a senior practitioner, you will be working through the entire design and delivery process, from framing problems, understanding and visualising service landscape, improving and reimagining end-to-end service, crafting service details, prototyping service to orchestrating work to support implementation.
What your day-to-day responsibilities will look like
- Work with different types of service across digital and non-digital channels and methods of access.
- Help colleagues see their services through a people lens with a design state of mind, helping them to map and discover opportunities for transformation in their areas.
- Help colleagues reimagine their services to improve service outcomes and reduce the cost of delivery.
- Contribute to identify design patterns and reusable components to tackle common problems across the organisation.
- Use data, design thinking and agile ways of working to solve problems, test ideas quickly, iterate what you do and embed a learning culture.
- Take a key role in developing and growing the service design community of practice, codifying ways of working.
- Line manage people, helping develop our people and managing performance robustly.
- Actively look for opportunities to improve the internal processes of knowledge management, learning and development, getting feedback, running design critique and meetings, etc.
- Work with senior leaders across the council to help them understand service design, helping them see what's possible.
Why join Royal Greenwich:
Royal Greenwich is proud to be a borough synonymous with first class modern services. A world class heritage site, our communities are vibrant and diverse, and we pride ourselves on being a well-managed, well-run authority.
We are going through a digital transition and are on the hunt to recruit like-minded team members to be a part of the challenge. We pride ourselves on our values, so you'll be in an environment that promotes knowledge and skill sharing, so you'll be working closely with other areas of the business.
Our vision is for a happier, healthier and more joined-up borough using modern technology and data. This was already an urgent need, but the COVID-19 pandemic has accelerated both the urgency and the will to change.
Our Royal Greenwich values underpin the work we do:
- Improving residents lives and opportunities
- Demonstrating respect and fairness
- Taking ownership
- Doing things better
- Working together across the Council.
We offer great benefits:
In return for your hard work, we offer a range of benefits:
- Annual Season Ticket Loan
- Childcare Voucher Scheme
- Learning and development opportunities to maximise your potential, including excellent apprenticeship opportunities at all levels
- Reduced rate Gym Membership
- Eyecare Vouchers
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Long Service Awards
- Generous Annual Leave entitlement, starting at 28 days per year
- Excellent Pension Scheme
- Greenwich Card which entitles you to discounts at local businesses
- Employee Assistance Scheme including external counselling service
- A range of flexible working arrangements
- Staff networks
Make an application
If this sounds like it would suit you, or our mission is something you'd love to be a part of then get in touch!
For more information or to apply, please visit royalgreenwichcareers.com and apply online by 28th November.
You will need to complete the application form, and submit a CV and Cover Letter stating your intent and why you think you are suitable for this role. Please note we will not consider applications without a cover letter.
Royal Borough of Greenwich values the diversity of its community and aims to have a workforce that reflects this. We want to hire the best people, regardless of their background. We encourage applications from all sections of the community.
What the hiring process will look like for you
Step 1 - Application: Complete the application form and we aim to get back to you within 1 week post the application closing date.
Step 2 - Invitation for interview: If you're among the top-scoring applicants, you'll be invited to a panel interview and prepare a 10 mins case study of a challenge you're proud of and how this shows your skill for this role.
Step 3 - Panel Interview: This will usually be a 60 minute video call with the hiring manager and other team members you would work with closely in the role. There will be two parts to it. The first 20 minutes will focus on the technical capabilities needed for this role through the case study you prepared. This will be followed by behaviour-based questions that address the essential criteria in the job specification. We will be asking questions like " tell us a situation when …"
Application close date: 28th November
Royal Borough of Greenwich reserves the right to close any vacancy earlier than the advertised closing date should there be a high volume of applications received.