Haringey is an extremely diverse borough, and the Council has set clear ambitious objectives through its borough plan to make Haringey a better place to live, encourage investment and create opportunities. As the shape of local government continues to change, we are determined to rise to the challenge and find new ways to ensure that our residents enjoy the best opportunities in life. Working at Haringey gives you the opportunity to play a part in meeting those high ambitions on behalf of everyone who calls the borough their home.
Haringey is a place to work that is full of drive, energy and focus. Our teams have passion, integrity and commitment, and people joining us do so as they see Haringey is a learning organisation, and the people that work here strive for continuous improvement, aiming high to ensure we provide outstanding outcomes for all.
Are you looking for a new challenge and an opportunity to develop?
It’s an exciting time for libraries in Haringey; we are investing in and transforming our service, planning for the future, through the major investment we have in the refurbishment of library buildings, working more closely with partners, investing in technology and most importantly ensuring we are able to provide the best possible service for our existing customers, and to attract more people to use the service.
We can only do that if we get the basics right and this includes a greater emphasis on our frontline service offer. We want to deliver a wide a range of library services and need people to with a can-do, service first philosophy to lead on service delivery and help drive dynamic provision across the service. As a key team player, you must be enthusiastic, customer-focused, friendly and pro-active; able to work with colleagues and key stakeholders to light up our libraries and communities with great customer service, interaction and passion.
Do you enjoy engaging and working with people of all ages and enhancing their daily lives; pride yourself on providing customer excellence in all library activities and departments? If this is you – read on!
About the Role
You will provide an effective operation of a high quality, customer centred Library Service, responsible for delivering an efficient and effective public service in the library and in the local community, including supporting, developing and evaluating outreach activities in line with local needs.
You will support advocacy work for the library service with colleagues, other Council Services and service providers and seek opportunities for library services to contribute to wider outcomes for customers including health, economic, learning, digital, access to information, culture and reading.
You will work with others to plan and deliver effective community library services and will lead on one or more selected service areas including lending services to adults and children, ICT, digital, information and learning services as required.
Key areas of work will include active customer-focused frontline library service delivery across all sites using library computer systems as required; contributing to and leading on specific areas of stock circulation and management; activities and events planning, promotion and delivery; processing daily and weekly financial transactions using Library Management Systems and Microsoft Office; following policy and procedures. Use of other software for enquiries, general communication, emails, teams etc. for the above as required.
We are looking for confident, enthusiastic team players with outstanding customer service experience in libraries or similar services. You will:
- Provide a high-quality library service through excellent frontline customer care services, contribute to the development of projects, activities and events, provision of information, training, effective communication and marketing for our community.
- Promote the benefits of reading for pleasure. Assist in the development of projects and delivering or supporting activities and events which maximise national, regional and local initiatives including some community engagement.
- Assist customers and colleagues with a wide range of enquiries – some complex; using community, business and enterprise reference resources, reports, databases, and software to provide information advice and guidance as required; supervise colleagues and deputise for line managers as required.
- Be able to liaise with officers and managers both internally and externally, ensuring advice and communication is delivered to a good standard.
- Have good written and verbal communication skills, be T literate, numerate and confident in using MS Office packages in order to maintain financial records and deliver the above.
- Be highly motivated, keen to learn and have the confidence to work independently and with others.
For more details, please see the job description and person specification
How to apply: Please fill in the application form including a statement explaining how your knowledge, experience and skills, whether gained in or outside work, match those needed for the job you are applying for. Use the essential characteristics on the Person Specification as the points that you need to address in the personal statement. (Please note there is a maximum limit of 500 words).
For Further Information
Closing Date: Sunday, 28th November 2021
Interview: W/C 6th December 2021.
JDPS- Senior Library Assistant (November 2021).pdf