York has an outstanding built and natural environment and our planners take an important role in balancing significant development pressures with the city’s special qualities and the challenge of climate change.
This vacancy is available as a secondment opportunity. Candidates must seek permission of their current line manager before applying for a secondment opportunity’
This is a great opportunity for a skilled and professional planner to manage, negotiate and assess a varied caseload of complex and major planning applications.
In addition to holding a degree and a professional planning qualification you will have;
- An extensive knowledge of the planning system and experience of dealing with a wide range of planning proposals.
- The ability to communicate technical issues (in writing and verbally), in a clear and concise manner to a range of different audiences.
- A commercial awareness and an understanding of development and regeneration finance issues.
- Aptitude for reconciling conflicts and finding solutions to complex planning problems
- Well-developed negotiating and mediating skills when dealing with developers and agents.
- Candidates should possess or be eligible for RTPI membership.
Expected fixed term end date 28.02.2023
The Council is highly committed to investing in the talent and wellbeing of our staff and can offer a generous annual leave allowance, access to the Local Government Pension Scheme, comprehensive Health & Wellbeing initiatives and a reward package which recognises your contribution. We can offer flexible working practices, community engagement and volunteer activities and, as part of our commitment to you, promote continuous Learning & Development. In addition we also offer a growing range of discounts, rewards and savings.
As this role is public facing, applicants will need to demonstrate, at interview, their competency to converse and provide advice and guidance to members of the public, in spoken English to CEFR level C2: Can express him/herself spontaneously at length with a natural conversational flow, avoiding or backtracking around any difficulty so smoothly that the person with whom they are conversing is hardly aware of it.
For further information or an informal discussion please contact Gareth Arnold Development Manager, Gareth.firstname.lastname@example.org or on 01904 551394
Closing date: Thursday 16 December 2021 at 12 midnight
Interview date: Week commencing Monday 10 January 2020