How you'll make a difference
Join the successful structures team who have won a number of awards, including the ICE South West Community Award 2019 and the IHE South West Large Project of the Year award 2018 for the major refurbishment and improvement of the Bromley Heath Viaduct.
Working in the structures team, you will be a vital team member involved with the inspection, assessment, design and asset management of the highway and open space structures in South Gloucestershire. We manage our existing stock of structures and play a key role in the major infrastructure projects when structures are present. We also ensure that any structures built by developers are compliant with design standards and do not leave the authority with a significant maintenance liability.
What will you be doing?
- You will carry out the design for major maintenance, improvement or strengthening of existing structures and the design of new structures using current codes of practice and European standards
- In the role you will also carry out the assessment of highway structures and check the design and construction of developer promoted structures
- You are required to carry out Principal and General Inspections of highway structures, supervising specialist consultants and contractors where necessary
- You will prepare Approval in Principle documents in accordance with the Design Manual for Roads and Bridges
- The role includes the management of road restraint systems inspections, replacements and improvements
- You will carry out asset management activities relating to highway structures, including calculating replacement costs, lifecycle planning and depreciation modelling
- On a daily basis you communicate effectively with stakeholders, developers, internal departments and colleagues and able to work within a multi-disciplinary environment and meet deadlines
What we need from you
- It is essential that you have a Degree, Level 5 NVQ or equivalent in a highways or civil engineering related discipline.
- We require you to have membership of an appropriate professional institution
- You must have experience in the design of highway and open space structures and have significant knowledge of the design Manual for Roads and Bridges and the Manual of Contract Documents for Highway Works
- You must be able to carry out the design of structures with minimal supervision. You will also have experience in the inspection of structures being built to ensure they comply with approved drawings/designs/specifications and able to inspect road restraint systems or defects and compliance, specify improvements or replacement and procure and supervise specialists carrying out any works
- We require you to be accredited or be working towards becoming accredited in highway structures inspections with Lantra or an equivalent scheme that demonstrates your competence in this area
- It is essential that you have Knowledge and experience of the CDM regulations and the production of documents required to ensure we meet our duties and knowledge and experience in using NEC contracts
- You will have experience of supervising the work of junior technical staff to help deliver the work of the structures team
- Through job related experience you will demonstrate experience of dealing with external agencies and partners in relation to highway structures
- You must have a good level of IT literacy and be familiar with software such as TEDDS, Superstress, Advance Design, Archie-M, Scale, AutoCAD, MapInfo and Microsoft Office products
- You will have relevant health and safety training, such as confined spaces training, working at height training, IOSH certification
How a career at South Gloucestershire Council is different
We value our staff as individuals, investing in their careers and we are recognised for the quality, breadth and depth of our training and development offer, which helps make the greatest long-term difference in work.
We trust our team to work in the way which allows them to make the biggest difference and we continue to invest in technology to help staff do their jobs to the best of their ability and celebrate innovation.
Our teams at South Gloucestershire Council are making a real difference to the lives of people who live, work and learn here.
We're building and shaping communities which people are proud of
We're planning for the future; building and improving the roads, railways, schools, green spaces, and houses.
We’re providing essential services across our communities to ensure they are safe and well maintained.
We've achieved a great deal, but we need talented and dedicated people to ensure we continue to make a difference.
We’re making a difference, be part of it!