How you'll make a difference
Join the successful structures team who have won a number of awards, including the ICE South West Community Award 2019 and the IHE South West Large Project of the Year award 2018 for the major refurbishment and improvement of the Bromley Heath Viaduct. The structures team manages highway and open space structures and you will be a senior member of the team, managing and supervising project teams relating to the inspection, assessment, strengthening, replacement and design of new structures.
You will be working on a spectrum of projects and prestigious schemes which give you variety and new challenges in your job role that you will find hard to match elsewhere.
This Senior Engineer position is design and assessment focused, however, there will be plenty of opportunities to work across all the functions of the team to maintain your professional development and contribute towards the development and improvement of policies and procedures. In this vital role you will support the continuing development of our long term asset management strategy, works programmes and where required work with our neighbouring local authorities in the West of England Combined Authority.
What will you be doing
- In the role you will be responsible for managing team members carrying out the structural design and assessment for major maintenance, improvement or strengthening of existing structures and the design of new structures using current codes of practice and European standards
- Managing a number of structural maintenance/strengthening projects you will prepare and review Approval in Principle documents and detailed design packages in accordance with the Design manual for Roads and Bridges
- You will be preparing contract documents, procurement activities and contract administration and supervising other team members carrying out these activities
- It is expected that you attend sites to check construction is being carried out in accordance with approved designs, drawings and specifications
- Working with others to resolve non-compliance issues you will be responsible for managing specialist consultants, reviewing and checking the output of the in house team and specialist external consultants and recommend to the Structures Manager whether to sign off the outputs
- You will carry out the technical approval process and review proposals submitted by third parties for new highway or open space structures, making recommendations to the Structures Manager on whether the proposals can be accepted
What we need from you
- You must have a Degree in a civil engineering related discipline, with substantial relevant post qualification experience in the design of highway and open space structures
- We require you to have Membership (Chartered or Incorporated Engineer) of an appropriate professional institution, demonstrating a commitment to personal continuing professional development and an NVQ L4 in Management or equivalent level of knowledge and experience
- You will have significant knowledge of the Design Manual for Roads and Bridges, the Manual of Contract Documents for Highway Works and Eurocode standards
- It is essential that you have experience in the inspection of structures being built to ensure they comply with approved drawings/designs/specifications and evidence of writing complex technical reports for stakeholders and members and significant knowledge and experience in using NEC contracts
- You will need significant knowledge and experience of the CDM regulations and the production of documents required to ensure we meet our duties and have experience in producing (and supervising the production of) documents required for the technical approval process
- You must have experience in successfully carrying out highway bridge assessments and leading teams carrying out assessments and experience in successfully designing highway bridges, highway retaining walls and highway culverts and leading teams carrying out these designs
- Project co-ordination experience and delivering programmes to meet clearly defined outcomes and outputs
- Good level of IT literacy and be able to demonstrate excellent skills with software such as Superstress, Advance Design, TEDDS, Scale, AMX, Autocad, Mapinfo and Microsoft Office products
- Relevant health and safety training, such as confined spaces training, working at height training, IOSH certification
How a career at South Gloucestershire Council is different
- We know our team work best when they have balance in their lives, and we offer genuine flexibility to help them achieve that work/life balance.
- We value our staff as individuals, investing in their careers and we are recognised for the quality, breadth and depth of our training and development offer, which helps make the greatest long-term difference in work.
Our teams at South Gloucestershire Council are making a real difference to the lives of people who live, work, and learn here.
- We're building and shaping communities which people are proud of
- We're working with the most vulnerable in our community to help them achieve what they want in life
- We've achieved a great deal, but we need talented and dedicated people to ensure we continue to make a difference.
We’re making a difference, be part of it!