Location: We’re based in the heart of Woolwich, which is a great place to both live and work. Woolwich benefits from excellent transport links; buses, tubes, trains and ferries, and soon to be Crossrail expansion. We are just 21 minutes from central London and 10 minutes from The O2. We operate a hybrid working model, where people spend most of their time working from home and the rest in the office.
Who are we looking for?
Our Digital and Customer Service team is expanding and we are on the lookout for an impact-driven, kind and curious person who has deep experience and knowledge of project management and a desire to support and inspire others. You will be leading a team of 4 project managers, helping them to deliver excellent work and develop their careers.
It’s an exciting time to join our team, as we implement our first ever digital strategy. You will help us on our mission to make the Royal Borough of Greenwich a truly digital council and borough over the next four years and beyond. Come and be a part of making our strategy a reality.
As our Lead Project Manager, you’ll be welcomed into a thriving, exciting in-house delivery team, alongside other delivery managers, policy and training practitioners, experts in user centred design, data analysts and engineers. It’s essential that you’re open-minded, flexible in your approach and great at working in a team. You will have experience in delivering complex technology projects, working with multiple suppliers and teams, translating user needs into deliverables, navigating risks, measuring outcomes and managing budgets. Most importantly, you’ll be up for the challenge of making public service and government better. There’s plenty of scope for influencing how we deliver work, manage change and maximise impact.
What your role will involve:
You’ll be part of our in-house delivery function as part of the Digital and Customer service team. You’ll report to the Head of Delivery.
As Lead Project Manager, you’ll take a key role in the delivery community across Royal Borough of Greenwich, setting standards and acting as an ambassador for working in the open, team-lead governance, continuous learning and iteration based on feedback.
You’ll be leading on our most complex and interdependent projects; engaging with teams from across the Council. Developing trusted relationships with colleagues and stakeholders is key to this role. You’ll put users at the centre of all you do and work with senior leaders to help them navigate tricky decisions.
As a lead, you will be delivering end-to-end projects from developing business cases and defining scope through to embedding success measures and supporting the transition into operational work. You will be a role model, enabling other project managers to do the same, shaping their skills, knowledge and growing their confidence.
Project managers will mostly be working using incremental, waterfall techniques. This will live alongside agile delivery practices. Project and delivery managers will learn from one another, helping each other to solve common problems.
What your day-to-day responsibilities will look like
- Take full responsibility for the delivery of large, complex and council-wide technology projects, including all elements of planning, financial management, supplier management, documentation and governance, and the realisation of value.
- Effectively forecast and deliver projects within defined costs and timescales against an agreed statement of works. Identify and mitigate risk, including where you do not have full control.
- Work with technologists to ensure the security of information and information systems by encouraging and enforcing adherence to technology policies.
- Lead the best practice of project management and delivery for digital and customer services; set practice and standards; offer guidance; lead a community of practice; work with other project managers in the organisation to improve together.
- Embrace agile ways of working, developing yourself and your team to be able to work in hybrid ways, and recognising the value of both project delivery and agile service delivery.
- Proactively seek and deliver savings through technology
- Develop communications plans and ensure regular relevant and timely communication takes place with all stakeholders to effectively manage their expectations.
- Engage directly with end users of all your projects, setting user-focused KPIs and qualitative metrics; prove that all our projects meet user need
Why join Royal Greenwich:
Royal Greenwich is proud to be a borough synonymous with first class modern services. A world class heritage site, our communities are vibrant and diverse, and we pride ourselves on being a well-managed, well-run authority.
We are going through a digital transition and are on the hunt to recruit like-minded team members to be a part of the challenge. We pride ourselves on our values, so you’ll be in an environment that promotes knowledge and skill sharing, so you’ll be working closely with other areas of the Council.
Our vision is for a happier, healthier and more joined-up borough using modern technology and data. This was already an urgent need, but the COVID-19 pandemic has accelerated both the urgency and the will to change.
Our Royal Greenwich values underpin the work we do:
- Improving residents lives and opportunities
- Demonstrating respect and fairness
- Taking ownership
- Doing things better
- Working together across the Council.
We offer great benefits:
In return for your hard work, we offer a range of benefits:
- Annual Season Ticket Loan
- Childcare Voucher Scheme
- Learning and development opportunities to maximise your potential, including excellent apprenticeship opportunities at all levels
- Reduced rate Gym Membership
- Eyecare Vouchers
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Long Service Awards
- Generous Annual Leave entitlement and
- Excellent Pension Scheme
- Greenwich Card which entitles you to discounts at local businesses
- Employee Assistance Scheme including external counselling service
- A range of flexible working arrangements
- Staff networks
Make an application
If this sounds like it would suit you, or our mission is something you’d love to be a part of then get in touch!
To apply, please click the apply button - you will need to complete the application form, and submit a CV and Cover Letter stating why you think you are suitable for this role. Please note we will not consider applications without a cover letter.
Royal Borough of Greenwich values the diversity of its community and aims to have a workforce that reflects this. We want to hire the best people, regardless of their background. We encourage applications from all sections of the community.
What the hiring process will look like for you
Step 1 – Application: Complete the application form and we aim to get back to you within 1 week post the application closing date.
Step 2 – Invitation for interview: If you’re among the top-scoring applicants, you’ll be invited to a panel interview. You will be asked to prepare a task in advance that will show you have the skills for this role.
Step 3 – Panel Interview: This will usually be a 60-minute video call with the hiring manager and other team members you would work with closely in the role. There will be two parts to it. The first 20 minutes will focus on task you have prepared and why you are interested in the role. This will be followed by skills and behaviour-based questions that address the essential criteria in the job specification. We will be asking questions like “Tell us a situation when …”
Closing Date 28/01/2022
For an informal discussion about this opportunity, please contact Philippa Newis; email@example.com .
If you require any assistance in viewing or accessing this opportunity, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020-8921-8977
Diversity Statement: Royal Borough of Greenwich values the diversity of its community and aims to have a workforce that reflects this. We therefore encourage applications from all sections of the community.
High Volume Applications: Royal Borough of Greenwich reserves the right to close any vacancy earlier than the advertised closing date should there be a high volume of applications received.
Advert Close: All vacancies close at midnight unless otherwise stated.
Interview Arrangements: During this time, our priority for all of our recruitment activity is to make sure our applicants, hiring departments and new starters are informed, safe and supported. Careful and thorough consideration will be given to interview arrangements and for any essential in-person recruitment, we will ensure this is held in a suitable, secure setting with additional arrangements to ensure any current safety requirements are fully adhered to.
Salary: Salaries advertised are for a standard working week of 35 hours unless otherwise stated. Please use this 'Salary Calculator to help you calculate a pro rata salary.