Barnsley Council are looking to recruit an exceptional Engineering Technician to join our Highways & Engineering Service to help oversee and discharge our responsibilities as Local Highway Authority based in Barnsley. You will be working on a full-time, permanent basis and in return, you will receive a competitive salary of £24,982 - £27,741.
Barnsley is changing and at it’s heart is a commitment to concentrate on providing services where they’re most needed, where they’ll have the most impact and to help people do more for each other and their community.
Our highway network is vital to the economic, social and environmental well-being of Barnsley. It is key to achieving nearly all of the Council’s business objectives, providing the means by which children get to school, the elderly receive home help, waste is transported and Council staff deliver services around the Borough. Now is a great time to be joining our forward-thinking and dynamic Highways & Engineering Service.
The Engineering Technician role:
We are looking to recruit an exceptional Engineering Technician to join our Highways & Engineering Service to help oversee and discharge our responsibilities as Local Highway Authority. This is a permanent role to be based in heart of Barnsley at our Westgate Plaza 1 offices.
Our new Engineering Technician will play a crucial role within our core Network team. Working within a small team, you will have the unparalleled opportunity to help in delivering a number of high-profile traffic management / traffic engineering schemes, from inception through to completion, with a chance to contribute to a number of current and emerging organisational strategies including enhancing local ecology, biodiversity and climate change.
Responsibilities as our Engineering Technician:
- Ensuring adherence to safe working practices and legislation including health and safety and relevant Regulations
- Being responsible for input and maintenance of accurate electronic and paper-based data and information including work programmes, contract documentation etc
- Undertaking the measurement and recording of all pre-defined works in accordance with the relevant methods of measurement
- Dealing with materials reconciliation including usage and variances, including dealing with suppliers regarding substandard materials
- Preparing relevant documentation as required
- Under the guidance of senior engineers, preparing local work programmes as well as tenders and estimates to meet specific dates, including highlighting any important risks, methods, special prices, notices etc
- Utilising the latest appropriate design software to aid estimating, quotations, ordering, design and build, surveys, costing etc
- Undertaking contract management and supervision of relevant procured works
What are we looking for in our Engineering Technician?
- Level 4 qualification in a relevant area OR relevant experience
- Willingness to undertake LEAN training
- Experience of undertaking assessments, designing developing and supervising solutions to relevant engineering issues
- Understanding of health and safety, risk management and business continuity issues and their applicability to the design and construction processes, the CDM Regulations
- Good communication, negotiation, and interpersonal skills
- Good organisation and time management skills with the ability to work under pressure, being self-motivated and able to use own initiative under minimal supervision
- Able to organise and prioritise a challenging workload, working accurately to deadlines and carrying out tasks in a methodical manner
- Willing to work flexibly in accordance with policies and procedures to meet the operational needs of the council
- Willing to undertake training and continuous professional development in connection with the post
- Work in accordance with the council's visions, priorities, values, and behaviours
- Able to undertake any travel in connection with the post
We live and work by our four values: honesty, teamwork, excellent service and taking pride in what we do.
As part of our team you can be sure we’ll do all we can to support you in being truly excellent. You see, we prioritise learning and enabling staff to achieve their potential. That’s one of the reasons why we achieved IIP Gold and why you’ll find your career here inspiring and rewarding. In addition, we have an attractive and competitive employee pay benefits programme in addition to the basic salary. We are committed to supporting the principles of equal pay and aim to eliminate inequalities in our pay systems through fair and transparent pay framework and reward strategy.
Closing date: 21/01/2022
To achieve your ambitions while shaping a bright future for our communities, apply now to become our Engineering Technician, we would love to hear from you!