We are seeking 2 x Engineers (Highway Design) to join our extremely busy Highway Design team to deliver our substantial pipeline of major projects in the next few years; having already secured over £33m from the Transforming Cities Fund. With the recent announcement of the £570m City Region Sustainable Transport Settlement; this is an unprecedented time for funding and we have an exciting list of projects. You will be working on a full time, permanent basis (37 hours per week), and in return, you will receive a competitive salary of £24,982 - £38,890 per annum Career Graded.
As our Engineer (Highway Design) you will Provide an effective service, provide advice on the design, project management, supervision, liaison and approval in accordance with civil engineering, relevant principles, practice and procedures.
Responsibilities as our Engineer (Highway Design):
- Undertake the duties specified in their level in addition to those of the post in the level(s) below.
- Carry out site visits (in accordance with health and safety guidance), to analyse problems on the highway secure the relevant information to ensure the necessary mitigation measures are determined.
- Undertake design and validation work using specialist IT programmes
- Prepare relevant documentation including plans, drawings, specifications, bills of quantities, schedules, contract particulars (including evaluating external submissions) and works orders, as well as ‘design and build’ packages for internal and external clients.
- Provide professional advice, guidance and information in relation to the relevant area of specialism, supervising the work of others and ensuring works are carried out in accordance with plans, policies and procedures.
- Liaise, negotiate, and collaborate with internal and external stakeholders including managers, employees, councillors, members of the public and partnership agencies, dealing with complaints/enquiries, investigating them and taking appropriate action.
- Contribute to service performance management, promoting quality practice and service delivery, ensuring continuous improvement.
- Develop and maintain knowledge of local and national regulations, policies and procedures which have implications for service delivery, to satisfy internal and external demands.
- To undertake day to day work allocation to staff
- Undertake any other duties commensurate with the role as requested by management.
What we’re looking for in our Engineer (Highway Design):
- Level 4 qualification in a relevant discipline. OR *relevant experience
- Commitment to obtaining C.Eng/I.Eng. and membership of an appropriate and relevant institution
- C.Eng/I.Eng. and membership of an appropriate and relevant institution
- Willingness to undertake leadership and management training
- Significant experience of working in the design and construction of engineering schemes
- Experience and knowledge of using IT based data input and processing tools e.g. Microsoft Excel, Access or bespoke systems
- Experience of liaising and dealing with members of the public, managers and external agencies
- Experience in the use of specialist IT design packages e.g. CAD, survey software
- Experience of using financial management software to create orders, raise invoices and prepare reports.
- Experience in the preparation and use of contract documentation including drawings, specifications, quotations etc.
- Willing to work flexibly in accordance with policies and procedures to meet the operational needs of the council
- Willing to undertake training and continuous professional development in connection with the post
- Work in accordance with the Council's vision, priorities, values and behaviours
- Able to undertake any travel in connection with the post
A lot to look forward to
We live and work by our four values: honesty, teamwork, excellent service and taking pride in what we do. As part of our team you can be sure we’ll do all we can to support you in being truly excellent. You see, we prioritise learning and enabling staff to achieve their potential. That’s one of the reasons why we achieved IIP Gold and why you’ll find your career here inspiring and rewarding.
Closing date: 21/01/2022
We need an Engineer (Highway Design)who shares our enthusiasm and vision who can pull all this together and make this happen – is that you? Then we’d like to hear from you!