Barnsley Council are seeking an experienced and motivated Group Leader in Transport Planning to lead an exceptional and expanding transport planning team based in Barnsley. You will be working on a full-time, permanent basis and in return, you will receive a competitive salary of £48,146 - £51,688 per annum.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an experienced and motivated Group Leader in Transport Planning to lead an exceptional and expanding transport planning team. At a time when funding is unprecedented, we have an exciting portfolio of schemes to deliver over the next few years, having already secured over £33m from the Transforming Cities Fund.
With the recent announcement of the £570m City Region Sustainable Transport Settlement; this is an unprecedented time for funding and we have an exciting list of projects. We also continue to make successful bids for funding to implement major highway schemes, sustainable / active travel schemes promoting walking, cycling, health and wellbeing.
The Group Leader role:
As our Group Leader, you will report directly to the Head of Transport providing strategic leadership, management and development of relevant projects, the service, and agenda, ensuring high quality delivery and compliance across a complex and continuously evolving policy and funding context.
Responsibilities as our Group Leader:
- Providing leadership and line management for a significant range and volume of human, financial and physical resources within defined services
- Developing, leading, implementing, and managing delivery of projects and programmes which achieve the objectives and outcomes of the relevant service
- Seeking out, leading on the design, bidding, and negotiation to secure external funding and private sector investment opportunities which directly contribute to the delivery of key outcomes
- Working across a broad range of disciplines to develop, lead and deliver joined up solutions to economic development delivery
- Driving forward relevant policy in response to emerging macro and micro socio-economic challenges, Government policy and Local Enterprise Partnership agendas
- Working in partnership and developing relationships with agents, developers, public bodies, landowners, other local authorities and regional partnerships to deliver complex multi-million pound economic development and regeneration initiatives
- Maximising all funding opportunities to ensure service development, sustainability, contract, government best practice and external audit compliance
- Undertaking budget management and financial planning, setting budgets, appropriately allocating funds, authorising, and monitoring income and significant multi-million-pound expenditure
- Contributing and managing the development of systems and processes
What are we looking for in our Group Leader?
- A professional or postgraduate qualification in a relevant discipline, a professional project management qualification and be able to evidence recent professional development in a related area
- Possess extensive knowledge and understanding of transport and land use planning policies within a local context
- Significant experience of multi-disciplinary project working, budget and programme development and monitoring, preparing funding bids, and working with elected Members and stakeholders
- Strong communication, partnership working and project management skills
- Experience in management, supporting complex infrastructure projects, Active Travel Schemes, travel demand management and behaviour change
A lot to look forward to
We live and work by our four values: honesty, teamwork, excellent service and taking pride in what we do. As part of our team you can be sure we’ll do all we can to support you in being truly excellent. You see, we prioritise learning and enabling staff to achieve their potential. That’s one of the reasons why we achieved IIP Gold and why you’ll find your career here inspiring and rewarding.
Closing date: 21/01/2022
To achieve your ambitions while shaping a bright future for our communities, apply now to become our Group Leader, we would love to hear from you!