We are seeking a Senior Bridge Manager who will oversee the delivery of our core bridge and structures functions including management of inspection, assessment, design, procurement and construction of a variety of highway structures as required by the annual programme and ensuring the effective delivery of the abnormal loads referral function. In return, you will receive a competitive salary of £43,857 - £46,845 per annum.
As our Bridge Manager you will act as team leader to provide an effective engineering service, including leading the technical direction, development and supervision of relevant works and provision of professional advice, guidance and information, ensuring that all operational requirements of the relevant specialist area are met.
Responsibilities as our Bridge Manager:
- Be responsible for the management of a team of employees, providing direction and co-ordination of workloads, support and guidance, dealing with recruitment, motivation, training, welfare and discipline issues as appropriate.
- Provide professional advice, guidance and information in relation to Bridges and Structures, responding to stakeholder queries, acting as an expert witness in inquiries and ensuring works are carried out in accordance with legislation, policies, procedures and plans.
- Provide strong leadership to ensure the efficient and effective delivery of technical services within the resources available, whilst ensuring continuous improvement of service delivery using LEAN principles, in line with corporate priorities, financial targets and budgetary constraints.
- Undertake site visits and surveys to undertake feasibility investigations into complex schemes as well as carry out inspections of works to ensure they are completed in accordance with relevant policies, plans and legislation.
- Be responsible for promoting and establishing a positive and proactive Health and Safety culture within service.
- To instil a fit for purpose performance framework and positive management culture that aligns resources to strategic objectives and provides evidence of attainment of those goals.
- Responsible for ensuring all programmes and projects are effectively planned and managed within a formal programme and project management framework, providing assurance through reports and presentations, key milestones, associated risks, issues and financial monitoring.
- Manage relevant service assets in accordance with prevailing principles including condition indices, life cycle plans, prioritising maintenance in accordance with policies, strategies and available funding
What we’re looking for in our Bridge Manager:
- Relevant level 5 qualification
- Relevant Professional Body Membership
- Chartered/ Incorporated Engineer
- Willing to undertake LEAN training
- Willingness to undertake the Councils Leadership Programme
- Management Qualification
- Extensive experience of undertaking assessments, designing and developing solutions to relevant engineering issues.
- Significant experience of project and programme management in a highways and engineering service area.
- Excellent knowledge and experience of budget management
- Extensive experience of undertaking engineering processes relevant to the post
- Extensive experience and knowledge of procedure manuals in delivering work instructions and maintaining standards.
- Substantial experience in the preparation and use of contract documentation including drawings, specifications, quotations etc.
- Experience of leading and managing a diverse team of professionals, contractors and front line operational staff in a complex organisation
- Willing to work flexibly in accordance with policies and procedures to meet the operational needs of the council.
- Willing to undertake training and continuous professional development in connection with the post.
- Work in accordance with the council's visions, priorities, values and behaviours
- Able to undertake any travel in connection with the post.
Closing date: 21/01/2022
We need a Bridge Manager who shares our enthusiasm and vision who can pull all this together and make this happen – is that you? Then we’d like to hear from you!