About the Post:
An exciting opportunity has arisen a Project Manager to join our extremely busy Strategic Transport team to deliver our substantial pipeline of major projects in the next few years; having already secured over £33m from the Transforming Cities Fund. With the recent announcement of the £570m City Region Sustainable Transport Settlement; this is an unprecedented time for funding, and we have an exciting list of projects. We also continue to make successful bids for funding to implement major highway schemes, sustainable / active travel schemes promoting walking, cycling, health and wellbeing.
The Project Manager role will be accountable for managing highway projects which contribute to the delivery of the Council's strategic aims and is responsible for driving and overseeing the delivery of a project(s) to ensure project objectives are clearly defined and can be delivered within the agreed timelines.
As an experienced manager, familiar with working on highway projects, this role is key to ensuring robust project management is in place underpinned by governance and assurance processes. Influencing and working with stakeholders is also essential to ensure agreed project outputs are delivered to enable benefits to be realised.
- Responsible for managing small to medium sized, complex projects to latest industry and contract standards, contributing to the Council’s strategic aims to deliver agreed outcomes within time and cost constraints.
- Responsible for providing expertise and specialist knowledge to develop a robust, agreed business case and project execution plan, to align project deliverables to the Council's
- Responsible for efficient management of the project and the project team, ensuring current capability aligns with project requirements, to ensure delivery of project outcomes and develop innovative and improved ways of working.
- Responsible for monitoring project delivery, ensuring alignment with the agreed budget and scope and reporting back according to requirements. Clearly set out project resource requirements in order to facilitate prioritisation by the Head of Service.
- Responsible for ensuring agreement with customers of quantified benefits to be realised and metrics required to monitor impact. Designing and actively managing the project plan to ensure outcomes are delivered.
- Responsible for overseeing project risk management including highlighting project risks and issues and ways in which these can be mitigated and escalated as appropriate.
- Responsible for ensuring effective Change Management processes are in place and changes to deliverables as agreed with stakeholders are documented.
- Responsible for developing an effective governance and assurance framework, to support decision making and ensure regular reporting on progress through pro-active engagement with project sponsors (where applicable). Work collaboratively with and manage, internal stakeholder and external partner relationships.
Barnsley is in a period of unprecedented development and good transport, and transport planning is a cornerstone for our future success. The demand for specialist project management solutions into our pipeline of schemes is greater than ever.
This is an exciting and important role where you will be part of a dedicated expert technical team which will allow you to use that team expertise as well as use your own initiative when problem solving. With excellent communication and negotiation skills, you will need to work effectively with sections within the Transport team, including Highway Design but also engage and seek professional advice when required.
Do you have ambition and an eye for identifying and pursuing future opportunities to project manage our portfolio of highway/ transport infrastructure projects?
If this sounds like you, this is your opportunity to join a dynamic team, bringing together highway design, transport planning including management of the highway and transportation investment programme, strategic traffic management, supporting complex infrastructure projects, Active Travel Schemes, travel demand management and behaviour change.
What you’ll need
To join us, you’ll need a professional or postgraduate qualification in a relevant discipline at level 6 and be able to evidence recent professional development in a related area.
Project Management qualification or accreditation
Evidence of having successfully completed several projects in a similar role and experience, contributing to a range of other projects and / or programmes
Evidence of preparing WebTAG compliant Business Cases
You will need to have political awareness and good communication and negotiation skills as well as experience of working with elected members.
A lot to look forward to
We live and work by our four values: honesty, teamwork, excellent service and taking pride in what we do. As part of our team you can be sure we’ll do all we can to support you in being truly excellent. You see, we prioritise learning and enabling staff to achieve their potential. That’s one of the reasons why we achieved IIP Gold and why you’ll find your career here inspiring and rewarding.
If you meet the identified criteria, this role offers an incredible opportunity to achieve your ambitions. We therefore look forward to hearing from you.
For an informal discussion please contact either Tracey Brewer, Head of Transport on 07387 549343 (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Andy Jones on 07886 525904 (email@example.com)
To achieve your ambitions while shaping a bright future for our communities, apply now!
Please use the documents below to help support you with your application form.
Job Profile: Job Profile.pdf
Vacancy Exposure Profile: Exposure Profile.pdf
Help with your application form
Why work for us?
Please ensure you view the job profile for this role, as you will need to demonstrate in your application form how you meet the required criteria.
Barnsley Council is passionate about Equal Opportunities and Flexible Working. We're committed to equality and diversity in all aspects of our work and welcome candidates with a broad diversity of talent. We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Click here for more information.
CVs will not be accepted.