How you'll make a difference
The Strategy & Innovation Division was formed in January 2021 with a mission to bring a fresh approach to South Gloucestershire Council to deliver greater synergy and strategic impact across the organisation. As our Strategic Partnerships & Policy Manager you will make a difference by working with our strategic partners and leading and co-ordinating corporate policy activities on behalf of the council, so we can identify opportunities and secure improvements for the residents of South Gloucestershire.
What will you be doing?
- You will co-ordinate and support the Leader, Chief Executive and Head of Strategy & Innovation in assessing policy developments (local, regional, and national), identifying the impact and opportunities for South Gloucestershire.
- You will develop and enhance the effectiveness of our strategic relationships with the West of England Combined Authority, Western Gateway, the West of England Local Enterprise Partnership and the constituent Councils of these organisations.
- You will lead on the development of policy and funding submissions to Government and other relevant agencies.
- You will carry out a variety of projects, liaising and consulting across council departments and externally, whilst keeping the Leader, Members and Chief Executive fully briefed and involved.
- It will be your responsibility to manage conferences, workshops and briefings related to your role, ensuring that appropriate resources are available to meet deadlines, achieve outcomes, and implement decisions.
What we need from you
- You will hold a degree in a policy or related field and have relevant experience at a senior level in either local or central Government or similar organisation.
- You will have substantial experience of planning and delivering services to meet statutory requirements.
- You can manage a demanding workload and prioritise accordingly whilst working within continually changing parameters, deadlines and targets.
- You can demonstrate knowledge of Government legislation and policy pertaining to devolution and related matters. As well as knowledge of corporate strategies, programmes and procedures.
- You can identify internal and external barriers to effective engagement or delivery and develop and implement approaches to resolve these.
- You can act as a high-level co-ordinator with good networking skills and can demonstrate strategic awareness.
How a career at South Gloucestershire Council is different
- We know our team work best when they have balance in their lives and we offer genuine flexibility to help them achieve that work/life balance.
- We value our staff as individuals, investing in their careers and we are recognised for the quality, breadth and depth of our training and development offer, which helps make the greatest long-term difference in work.
- We have invested in the technology and support to enable staff to work seamlessly from home so we can ensure we are keeping staff safe during Covid-19. For those staff who may need to work in the office we have also ensured that our offices and hubs are Covid secure; and have measures in place such as one-way systems, socially distanced work stations and hand sanitizer stations throughout our premises.
- As part of our benefits package you will receive generous annual leave (pro rata), employee wellbeing support and you will have access to a range of staff discounts, including eye tests, travel, shopping and leisure activities.
- We recognise that our diverse team of skilled and dedicated people make us a great place to work. We welcome applications from everyone and ensure that individuals are selected, promoted and developed on the basis of their merits and abilities.
Our teams at South Gloucestershire Council are making a real difference to the lives of people who live, work and learn here.
- We’re providing essential services across our internal network to ensure we can fully support our community.
- We’re positive and forward thinking, always looking for new and innovative ways of working work and we’re ambitious about the future.
We've achieved a great deal, but we need talented and dedicated people to ensure we continue to make a difference.
We’re making a difference, be part of it!
This is a 12 month limited term contract
For further information, please contact Andrew McLaughlin, Head of Strategy & Innovation (andrew.McLaughlin@southglos.gov.uk or 01454 868223)