At Walsall Council, we believe that people are at the heart of everything we do. Enabling safe, sustainable and reliable journeys to work, education, healthcare, family and friends is essential to reducing inequality and maximising opportunities. Investment in regeneration across Walsall and the Black Country presents exciting opportunities to enhance and future proof our transport network, taking a collaborative approach to the delivery of innovative and exciting projects. Now we invite you to join us on our journey.
Our engineering teams are instrumental in the successful delivery of highways and transport services in Walsall. We are looking to recruit an experienced, self-motivated highways engineer who can take a leading technical role and contribute positively to the future success of the team.
We are looking for someone with significant highways experiences, ideally in a local authority setting. A strong customer focus is essential and the successful candidate will need to be able to work quickly and efficiently to solve problems and communicate solutions to internal and external parties.
The post holder will take day-to-day responsibility for:-
- Taking a leading role in processing of full range of planning application consultations from small development to major regeneration schemes and carrying out transportation assessments for control of development within set time limits, including the assessment of geometric layouts of new developments.
- Ensuring that the Council meets its obligations with regard to a range of statutory processes including public right of way, road adoptions, and maintenance of the Council’s highway records.
- Negotiating with developers to maximise financial contributions from development to effectively mitigate the impact on local transport systems and to help meet the borough’s long-term transport infrastructure needs.
- Appraisal of information on behalf of the Highways Authority and determine recommendations, including carrying out junction capacity calculations, network impact assessments and accident audits.
- Attend Planning Committees, pre-application meetings and provide advice on highway matters associated with planning applications.
- Provide advice on a day to day basis about development constraints and opportunities within the Borough. Managing of highway applications associated with highway development control process including dealing with S184, S38, S278 applications under the Highways Act 1980
- Liaise with the Legal Services regarding planning and highways issues under S106, S38, S278 Agreements and other Licences and Orders in connection with highways development control process.
- Preparing cost estimates for highway works associated with development control process.
- Provide professional advice and assistance to developers with respect to sustainable travel, highway design and construction issues.
This is a varied role with customer services and partnership working at its heart. If you’re ready for your next challenge, we’re ready to hear from you!
This post is covered by the Government’s Code of Practice on the English Language Fluency Duty for public sector workers.
Closing date: 2nd February 2022.