Bedford Borough, the place to grow. This is what we want people to say about Bedford Borough in the future.
Bedford Borough Council is committed to supporting people, enhancing places, creating wealth and empowering communities and now offers you an exciting opportunity to join its in-house Engineering Services team. This presents you with a unique opportunity to complete your engineering work within a thriving local authority engineering team.
The multi-disciplinary team you will be joining has professional engineers who work together across all areas of highways, integrated transport, bridges, lighting, signs, drainage and developer-led works (S38 and S278). With the Council containing most services under one roof you will also meet and get to know lots of other specialists, including our colleagues in highway development control, transport, planning, building services and parks teams.
We are currently looking for Team Leader for our Highway and Developer Infrastructure Team. You will manage the team responsible for all developer led highway improvements, including Section 38 new estate roads, Section 278 highway improvements, and oversee Section 106 highway projects. You will also lead the design team for the council’s in house carriageway and footway resurfacing programmes.
You will work within the team to check that all S38 and S278 developer-led projects are suitably designed and that the day-to-day activities are managed in a timely manner. A typical week for you could include:
- Reviewing the technical audit and approval of S38 & S278 projects;
- Provide highway engineering expertise to assist our Highway Development Control colleagues to minimise the impact developer led works have on the highway, and to ensure projects are delivered in accordance with the planning requirements;
- Negotiation of S38 & S278 legal agreements;
- Issue of adoption certificates;
- Site visits to inspect works to ensure they are in accordance with approved drawings and specifications, and to provide engineering solutions to problems.
- Provide technical advice to Engineering Services colleagues to assist in the design of carriageway and footway maintenance projects.
- We are searching for people who have:
- A Degree in Civil Engineering (or equivalent);
- Membership of a professional body, such as ICE, IHE or CIHT (essential);
- Chartered Engineer (CEng) status or is significantly advanced in working towards achieving that status (essential);
- Extensive experience in managing S38 and S278 projects including technical audits and adoption processes (essential).
The Council is committed to offering you a good work-life balance, which includes its flexi-time and agile working arrangements, including working from home. There is a service to be delivered, but we don’t forget your home requirements or those precious personal moments, such as family gatherings or nativity plays. You would work a 37 hour working week with 26 days of annual leave (increasing to 31 days after 5 years’ service), compensated by a competitive salary and a pension scheme that will be completely unrivalled in the private sector.
Bedford Borough Council is an inclusive employer. It is your engineering skills that we are after, so why not join this engaging and supportive team with all of the opportunities and benefits that it can offer you?
Closing Date: 20th May 2022.