An opportunity has arisen for a permanent Band 3 Admin Assistant within the Area Management Team, Revenues & Benefits Service.
Northumberland County Council operates a huge range of services across one of the largest counties in the UK. Local Government’s ongoing challenges and the diversity of our residents means we have to work smarter. That’s why we want bold, creative and agile thinkers who can help us move forward and innovate.
For further information about working for Northumberland County Council, please click here: http://www.northumberland.gov.uk/working
The Area Management Team are part of the Council’s Revenues & Benefits Service based in Ashington. The Revenues Service primary functions are the billing and collection of Council Tax, Business Rates and Sundry Debt. The Benefits Service functions are the assessment of entitlement for Housing Benefit, Council Tax Support, Blue Badges, Concessionary Travel, Free School Meals as well as the payment of Housing Benefit and the collection of overpayments.
The Area Management Team is a central admin team providing support to all the above functions of the service.
The role is part of a team responsible for all incoming and outgoing mail. The team supports the service by undertaking administrative tasks providing a high-quality service.
A key part of the role is to accurately index high volumes of Revenues & Benefits incoming mail onto a document management system.
Considerable experience in a similar role scanning and indexing onto a document management system and using Microsoft 365 applications is required. Also, the ability to prioritise workloads, meet tight timescales and perform well under pressure from deadlines. The successful candidate will need to be enthusiastic, self-motivated, and proactive with excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
The role is key to maintaining high performing services. You should have attention to detail and a positive attitude, experience of dealing with incoming and outgoing mail and able to support change in this area.
You must be able to work on your own initiative and contribute to the success of the team.
- A good general education demonstrating numeracy and literacy.
- NVQ Level 2 or equivalent in a business-related discipline.
- Considerable experience in a similar role covering a broad range of support tasks and procedures.
- Experience in using Microsoft 365 applications.
- Experience of scanning & indexing onto a document management system.
- Experience of ordering goods/services and the payment of invoices.
- Experience of handling cash & cheques.
- Experience of telephone and face to face enquiries.
- Ability to multi-task and resolve problems.
- Writes clearly, succinctly and correctly.
- Able to quickly and accurately manipulate numerical data using all arithmetic functions.
- Ability to organise self and work without constant supervision.
- Skilled in using office applications on a personal computer.
- Able to apply technology in new work-related situations.
- Able to follow instructions and procedures without constant supervision.
- Ability to form appropriate relationships quickly.
- Works in a systematic and orderly manner.
- Knowledge of a broad range of work-related tasks and procedures together with the operation of associated tools and equipment.
- Usually works in a seated position. Some standing, walking, stretching or lifting.
- Regular periods of concentrated mental attention with some pressure from deadlines, interruptions and conflicting demands.
- Contact with the public may result in some emotional demands.
- A commitment to providing a quality administrative support service.
- Reliable and keeps good time.
- Demonstrates integrity and upholds values and principles.
- Promotes equal opportunities and diversity in all aspects of work.
- Appropriately follows instructions to achieve set objectives.
- Works collaboratively to achieve team spirit.
For further information about this vacancy, please contact Pauline Sanderson, Area Management Team Leader on 01670 624218 for an informal discussion.
To apply please click the Apply Now link below.