An opportunity to join a successful team working on the challenges and opportunities of the environmental crises facing our planet, the County and the Council, such as climate change and biodiversity loss.
The successful candidate will join the team at an exciting time with environmental issues at the top of the political and societal agenda, within a constantly evolving political, legislative and economic landscape. Through your work, you will help to improve the council’s environmental performance and provide support to countywide projects.
We have created a career graded role that will allow you to grow, develop and improve with support and guidance from team members and line management, so that over time you can work with greater autonomy, gain greater responsibility and master the job role. If appointed at grade 8 or 9, you will have the opportunity to progress to a higher grade as your skills and experience grow.
We are looking for someone who has a strong interest in environmental issues, is willing to learn, has a desire to develop and grow, is adaptable and hardworking, and is willing and able to work on their own initiative, but also as part of a team.
The role has several elements and there is some flexibility regarding which ones are required in order to start in post. The key elements include data management and operation of an environmental performance monitoring and reporting system, undertaking tasks such as environmental audits as part of the council’s Environmental Management System, delivery of environmental projects including engagement and behavioural change campaigns, providing advice on environmental policies and legislation, and the production and presentation of reports to a range of audiences.
As the role is a career graded post the level of experience, knowledge and skills required will vary depending on the grade – see job description and person specification for more details.
ESSENTIAL REQUIREMENTS at Grade 10 level:
Note: the grade offered will depend on the number and level of the essential requirements met by the candidate.
- Relevant degree or equivalent demonstrable work experience in a relevant environmental area.
- Evidence of continued learning and development.
- Knowledge of environmental issues, legislation, policies etc in areas such as climate change, resource use, waste management and pollution.
- Strong spreadsheet skills and experience of data acquisition, management, analysis and reporting using spreadsheets, databases and presentation packages.
- Experience of using indicators to monitor performance, preferably in relation to the environment
- Experience of operating an Environmental Management System (EMS), preferably to ISO14001 standard.
- Successful management and delivery of projects.
- Preparation of strategic and policy documents.
- Ability to work successfully with a range of stakeholders.
- Ability to write technical and non-technical reports for a range of audiences.
- Good communication and presentation skills.
Please see the Job Description / Person Specification which are attached further down on this page for more details.
For informal enquires please contact Philip Gray, Tel: 0116 305 5620 Email: Philip.Gray@leics.gov.uk
Equality and diversity is everyone’s business. Here at Leicestershire County Council, we’ve been building on strong foundations since achieving ‘excellent’ status in 2011 under the Equality Framework for Local Government. We have a corporate Equalities Board, supported by departmental equality groups and also our staff groups for Black and Minority Ethnic, Disabled, LGBT+ and Carers. We believe that a strong, diverse workforce will bring together different perspectives and ideas. To find out more please click here.
Leicestershire County Council is committed to Smarter Working and understands the benefits of supporting employees to manage their work and life balance, whilst meeting the needs of the service.
We are supportive of flexible working and candidates who wish to discuss this should contact Philip Gray (recruiting manager) to discuss what is possible for this role. Examples may include requests for flexible working patterns, compressed hours, flexible start and finish times, home/ remote w
To apply please click the Apply Now link below.