Are you looking for a challenge, and a diverse range of work? Do you want to work in an innovative, positive team that shapes and develops the places we live and work in?
If so Telford & Wrekin Council Building Control Team want to hear from you.
Working in our highly innovative and motivated Building Control Team, our Building Control Area Surveyor will be responsible for the administration of the Building Regulations and allied legislation for a wide range of diverse and complex applications from inception to completion under the overall guidance of the Senior Building Control Surveyor and the Building Control Manager.
You will be based in Telford - a destination of vibrant places and experiences where people love to live, work and play. Sitting in the heart of Shropshire, Telford is the gateway between the Midlands and Wales. Rich in heritage and natural beauty, the borough has a vibrant town centre that’s currently expanding and a 450 acre town park with numerous leisure facilities;
This New Town celebrated its 50th birthday in 2018, and continues to grow from the birthplace of the Industrial Revolution and one of the UK’s first World Heritage Sites to now delivering more than 76 hectares of employment and circa 17,000 new homes up until 2031, as part of the newly adopted Telford & Wrekin Local Plan.
Being part of Telford & Wrekin Council ensures you will be play a part in the development and creation of creative and positive places for those who live and work in Telford, building a safe and sustainable environment for future generations to enjoy
We are looking for a keen, customer focused candidate with proven experience of working in a high quality Building Control environment. You will have demonstrable wide ranging knowledge and understanding of the legislation and technical documents underpinning the Building Regulations, be proficient in effectively managing and prioritising workloads in pressurised situations and have excellent customer focus and negotiation skills.
As a valued member of the Building Control team, you will be knowledgeable in carrying out Building Control functions at all competency levels, such as checking Building Control applications, site inspections and carrying out enforcement procedures.
You will carry out professional duties in order to ensure developments achieve compliance with the Building Regulations and associated Legislations, as well as liaising with internal and external contacts to ensure information exchange, as well as developing and maintaining relationships with stakeholders.
In addition, you will use your extensive knowledge of Building Control to assist in the promotion of and commercial aims of the service.
The post holder is responsible for the administration of the Building Regulations and allied legislation for a wide range of diverse and complex applications from inception to completion under the overall guidance of the Building Control Manager
Major tasks undertaken will include -
- Undertaking appraisals, considering the technical, financial, and planning implications of schemes.
- Developing design proposals, which provide the optimum solution for the client in terms of compliance, siting, orientation, energy rating, internal arrangement, appearance, and cost.
- Leading multi-disciplinary design teams to achieve Client/Council/regulatory objectives achieving compliance and are ensuring completed within budget.
- The preparation of detailed reports on applications, successfully integrating building fabric with structure, services, and ICT in a cost effective and innovative way to comply with regulatory standards.
- Liaising and negotiating with statutory and regulatory bodies Planning, Fire Officers and service utilities to ensure that the proposals comply with legislation including CDM and other health & safety legislation.
- Assisting in the administration of applications including the development and negotiation of fees.
Deputise for the Building Control Team Manager or Senior Surveyor in their absence.
- Degree and a Member of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors(Building Control) or Association of Building Engineers(Building Control) Evidence of continuing professional development.
- Experience of the conceptual and detail design of complex new build and refurbishment projects
- Experience of working as part of and also leading multi-disciplinary project teams
- Experience of the day to day liaison and communication with contractors, clients, statutory authorities
- Must have a sound knowledge of Building Regulations, building construction and technology and allied building legislation and be able to devise technical solutions of a high standard.
- Able to interpret client requirements and devise innovative, practical solutions
For more information please contact Joe Strafford on 09152 384555 or email Joe.email@example.com.
Job Description & Person Specification
To apply please click the Apply Now link below.